A homeless man who was stabbed to death Wednesday night in the French Quarter also had been stabbed a few blocks away earlier in the week, New Orleans police said.
The 47-year-old victim, whose name has not been released, received the fatal wound about 8:45 p.m. in the 800 block of Toulouse Street, just off Bourbon Street, and died later at a hospital, said Officer Frank Robertson, a Police Department spokesman.
The victim was stabbed in the chest during a fight with an unknown man, Robertson said. He previously was stabbed about 10:30 p.m. Sunday in the 600 block of Decatur Street. He was treated and released from the hospital after that incident.
Police said the unknown assailant in Wednesday night’s stabbing is a black man with a dark complexion, 5-foot-5 to 5-foot-6, 30 to 40 years old, with a scruffy beard and shoulder-length dreadlocks. He wore a white jacket and possibly a red shirt.
Anyone with information is asked to call homicide Detective Thomas Ripp at (504) 658-5300.
The stabbings came weeks after a shooting spree in the 700 block of Bourbon in the early morning of June 29 killed a Hammond woman and injured nine others.
That event led Mayor Mitch Landrieu to request help from the State Police. Fifty state troopers have been assigned to New Orleans through Labor Day.
A 20-year-old Belle Chasse man, Trung Le, is in jail, accused by police of being the first person to open fire in the June 29 incident.
Follow Danny Monteverde on Twitter, @DCMonteverde.