1 dead, 1 wounded in gunfire on Rapides
NEW ORLEANS — Police said a 22-year-old man was shot and killed and a 20-year-old man was wounded by gunfire during an incident Friday night in the 1900 block of Rapides Street in the Saint Anthony neighborhood.
The two victims were walking on Rapides Street around 8 p.m. when an unknown man approached and shot both of them multiple times, the police said in a news release.
The 22-year-old man collapsed on the scene, and the 20-year-old man ran to a house in the 5300 block of Wilton Street, the release says.
Both victims were taken to a hospital where the 22-year-old man later died, the release says. The 20-year-old man underwent surgery. His condition was unknown, police said.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Police Department at (504) 658-5300 or Crime Stoppers at (504) 822-1111 or toll free at (877) 903-STOP.
Man charged with armed robbery
NEW ORLEANS — A man accused of carjacking an Uptown resident was arrested Friday, New Orleans police said in a news release.
Ronnell Johnson, 26, pulled a gun on a resident in the 1200 block of Coliseum Street around 12:30 a.m. Friday and demanded the resident’s money, cellphone and car keys before driving away in the victim’s car, the news release says.
Minutes later, officers were flagged down by a resident about a possible drug deal happening outside an apartment complex in the 3300 block of Garden Oaks, the release says.
An officer who pulled up to the complex saw Johnson standing next to a vehicle, the release says. Johnson then ran away.
Officers realized the car beside which Johnson had been standing matched the description of the vehicle stolen from Coliseum Street, the release says.
The officers quickly located Johnson and chased him down, the release says.
Police later found the gun they believe Johnson used in the carjacking, the release says.
Johnson was booked into the Orleans Parish Prison on a count of armed robbery, the release says.
Police seek suspect in Bourbon St. robbery
NEW ORLEANS — Police reported Saturday they were looking for a transgendered man accused of beating and robbing another man who was walking near Bourbon Street early Tuesday.
The victim left his hotel around 5:30 a.m. to take a walk around the French Quarter, police said in a news release.
When the victim crossed over to Bourbon Street, he was approached by a stranger who turned out to be a transgendered male, the release says.
The transgendered male tried to strike up a conversation, but the victim realized the stranger was a pickpocket who was trying to steal valuables on his person, the release says.
As the two approached the intersection of Conti and Chartres streets, two other robbers proceeded to attack the victim, taking his wallet and money, the release says.
The victim suffered minor injuries, the release says.
The transgendered pickpocket is described as a black man, 5 feet 7 inches to 6 feet tall who is in his mid-20s to early 30s.
Compiled by New Orleans bureau