MEDICARE ANNUAL WELLNESS VISITS: Medicare beneficiaries with Traditional Part B are eligible for free annual wellness visits with a certified nurse practitioner, designed to help them stay healthy, safe and independent for a long time. Medicare is billed for this visit. Life Line Community Healthcare will be offering these wellness visits free; to schedule an appointment at one of the locations below, call (866) 579-5069.
- Thursday, July 2: Lakeview Presbyterian Church, 5914 Canal Blvd., New Orleans
- Wednesday, July 8: First Baptist Church, 8828 Highway 23, Belle Chasse
- Saturday, July 25: St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church, 6425 W. Metairie Ave., Metairie
- Tuesday, July 28: Thompson Road Baptist Church, 59008 Thompson Road, Slidell
- Wednesday, July 29: St. Charles Avenue Baptist Church, 7100 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans
- Friday, July 31: St. Gertrude Catholic Church, 17336 Highway 90, Des Allemands
- Friday, Aug. 7: Divine Mercy Catholic Church, 4337 Sal Lentini Parkway, Kenner
- Saturday, Aug. 15: Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic School cafeteria, 401 Spruce St., Norco
- Tuesday, Aug. 18: First United Methodist Church, 433 Erlanger St., Slidell
- Friday, Aug. 28: Holy Spirit Catholic Church, 6201 Stratford Place, Algiers
- Saturday, Aug. 29: Mount Olive Lutheran Church, 315 Ridgelake Drive, Metairie
ABC’s OF BREASTFEEDING: The Family Birth Place at West Jefferson Medical Center will offer a discussion of breastfeeding basics and common concerns from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. July 7. West Jefferson Medical Center is at 1101 Medical Center Blvd., Marrero. For information, call (504) 349-6200.
PARKINSON’S SUPPORT GROUP: The Parkinson’s Disease Circle of Friends meets at 7 p.m. July 14 at St. Francis Villa Assisted Living, 10411 Jefferson Highway, River Ridge.
The meeting will include separate gatherings for patients, in the first-floor dining room, and for caregivers, on the third floor. Michelle Land and Esther Smith will lead the patient group, and Susan Sapir-Fields and Eloise LeBlanc will lead the caregivers group, allowing everyone to share their experiences, frustrations and laughter in a private setting.
The Circle of Friends support group meets on the second Tuesday of each month. For information, call Michelle Lane at (504) 952-6659 or Susan Sapir-Fields at (504) 432-0006.
BIOMEDICAL TREATMENT SUPPORT GROUP: Parents of children with autism or attention disorders can learn about alternative and complementary treatments when the Louisiana Chapter of the Thinking Moms Revolution meets from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. July 18 in St. Joseph Hall at St. Francis Xavier Church, 444 Metairie Road, Metairie.
Biomedical treatments work with a child’s body, using vitamins and other natural medicines to treat the underlying source of the problem and not the symptoms. For information, contact Rainna Moran and Jeanna Broussard at chase email@example.com.
BABY-SITTING CLASS: A baby-sitting class for people 11 and older will be held from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. July 18 at the Family Birth Place at West Jefferson Medical Center, 1101 Medical Center Blvd., Marrero. The $55 fee for this condensed Red Cross course includes a textbook, CD-ROM and lunch. For information, call (504) 349-6200.
MOTHER-DAUGHTER RAP: A breakfast discussion for mothers and preteen girls sponsored by West Jefferson Medical Center will take place from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday, July 25. The cost is $25 per couple. For information and to make a reservation, call (504) 349-6200.
GRIEF AND LOSS SUPPORT GROUP: A free grief and loss support group, sponsored by the Akula Foundation, meets from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month at West Jefferson Medical Center, 1101 Medical Center Blvd., Marrero. The next meeting is July 1. To register or for information, call the Grief Resource Center at (504) 247-7818.