‘Swamp People’ star arrested in abuse case

Noces Joseph Lafont Jr., better known as “Trapper Joe” from the television series “Swamp People,” was booked last week on a count of domestic abuse battery in Plaquemines Parish, accused of breaking two of his girlfriend’s ribs, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The 50-year-old Port Sulphur resident was booked Wednesday after Judge Kevin Connor, of the 25th Judicial District Court, issued a warrant for his arrest.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, the arrest followed an April 12 incident in which Lafont’s 50-year-old girlfriend told authorities he pushed her and broke her ribs. Nine days later, Lafont filed for a temporary restraining order against the woman, which was granted by Judge Michael Clement.

Lafont was released from custody Friday on a $3,500 bond, according to the Sheriff’s Office. He also was told to stay away from the victim.

Authorities began investigating the incident after the girlfriend made a complaint, according to the Sheriff’s Office. The woman said she got into an argument with Lafont at their residence on Church Lane and grabbed his phone to see whom he was texting.

She said Lafont grabbed the purse on her shoulder and pushed her away, causing her to fall to the floor. She said she moved into her mother’s house in Marrero after the incident happened.

Several days later, she said, she still felt pain in her left side, and X-rays and a CAT scan revealed that she had two broken ribs, prompting her to file a police report.

The woman said she didn’t want to pursue criminal charges but wanted to have her medical costs covered. She was told that the incident was classified as domestic violence and the report would be forwarded to the District Attorney’s Office.

Lafont has been arrested on domestic abuse-related incidents before, according to the Plaquemines Sheriff’s Office: a domestic violence arrest in Florida in 2012, which was refused, and a domestic abuse battery arrest in Jefferson Parish in 2013.

Lafont has a court date of June 1 for the latest incident.

Crash injures pregnant woman, family

Five people, including a pregnant woman, were sent to local hospitals following a Sunday morning crash on Lee Road north of Covington, according to St. Tammany Fire District No. 12.

About 9:30 a.m., a family sedan and a small garbage truck were heading south on Lee Road when the truck turned left and was hit by the sedan, officials said.

The truck rolled over on its side, damaging the engine compartment and the sedan’s back seat.

The sedan’s passengers included a husband, wife and two young children. The husband and children suffered minor to moderate injuries. The six months pregnant mother sustained more severe injuries and was airlifted to a hospital.

State Police are handling the investigation.

Four shot in separate incidents in N.O.

Four people were shot in New Orleans in separate incidents Saturday and Sunday, according to the Police Department.

Police said the first incident, a drive-by shooting, happened about 3:30 p.m. Saturday. A 16-year-old male was in a park in the 7500 block of Benson Street when a white car pulled up and someone started shooting. The teenager fled to Gervais Street and called police. An ambulance took him to the hospital.

Later Saturday, a 33-year-old man was in the 7000 block of Crowder Boulevard when two men shot him several times and fled. The incident happened about 10:45 p.m.

On Sunday, a 34-year-old man was driving his vehicle near Boston Drive and Middleboro Road shortly before noon when a man started shooting at him, police said. The victim was hit in the abdomen and left elbow and was taken to a hospital. His injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

Those three shootings all occurred in eastern New Orleans.

About 6 p.m. Sunday, a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg in the 2200 block of Port Street in the St. Roch neighborhood. He was sitting outside when he was shot by someone in a gray four-door sedan, police said.

Two women cut in separate incidents

Two women were cut during separate incidents in New Orleans on Saturday and early Sunday morning, police said.

Andranika Reed, a 26-year-old woman, is wanted in the first incident, which happened about 3:45 p.m. Saturday at Felicity and Magnolia streets in Central City.

Police said Reed was arguing with a 38-year-old woman when the fight turned physical. She then produced a knife and cut the woman to the body several times. The victim was taken to a hospital.

Another woman, 40-year-old Karen Williams, was arrested following a cutting that happened about 4:30 a.m. Sunday. Williams was fighting with a 31-year-old woman at Flood and North Tonti streets in the Lower 9th Ward when she stabbed the woman with a knife, police said.

Man carjacked in New Orleans East

A 58-year-old man was carjacked in New Orleans East early Sunday morning, according to police.

The man was stopped at a red light at Chef Menteur Highway and Wilson Avenue shortly before 5 a.m. when an armed man walked up, pointed a gun and demanded the man get out of his car. He complied.

Man robbed at gunpoint in Marrero

A man was robbed at gunpoint Saturday night in the 6900 block of Sayers Drive in Marrero, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

The JPSO reported the incident about 11 p.m. No injuries were reported.

Cuttings reported in Jefferson Parish

A man was injured after being cut in Avondale, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office said Sunday.

The incident, which was reported about 5 p.m., happened at Rosalie Drive and South Jamie Boulevard. The man’s injuries weren’t life-threatening.

Less than an hour later, another cutting was reported in Marrero. A man was cut in the 2600 block of Wyoming Drive, according to the Sheriff’s Office.