7th Ward gang member found guilty of murder
An Orleans Parish jury deliberated for about two hours before convicting an alleged 7th Ward gang member of second-degree murder in a 2012 murder at Stallings Playground in Gentilly.
Chevroun “Chevy” Smith, 24, faces a life prison sentence at his sentencing, which Criminal District Court Judge Franz Zibilich set for Nov. 13.
Prosecutors Jason Napoli and Robert Moore presented evidence over a two-day trial this week that Smith was an associate of the Prieur and Columbus Boyz, or PCB gang, and that he gunned down 32-year-old Ali Robinson in a dispute over drug territories.
Robinson liked to play dominoes in the park, where customers could find him, prosecutors said. He was shot nine times with a 9mm handgun on the evening of April 13, 2012, in an assault witnessed by several park visitors, including a few who allegedly rifled through the victim’s pockets and ran.
Three witnesses identified Smith as the killer, although one of them later recanted.
Authorities have tied some PCB associates to a feud with members of another gang, the Frenchmen and Derbigny Boys, or FnD. Two brothers associated with FnD are accused of shooting up a Mother’s Day second-line parade last year, injuring 20 people.
Whether Robinson had any gang affiliations was unclear.
Cannizzaro praised the jury after the verdict late Wednesday, saying that his office had rejected a trial-day offer for Smith to plead guilty and take a nine-year prison sentence.
Miss. man suspected of extorting Tammany teen
A Jackson, Mississippi, man was arrested Wednesday in St. Tammany Parish after he was accused of obtaining nude photos of a 15-year-old Mandeville girl and then using them to extort additional nude images and sex from her.
Anuar Pardo, 40, was booked on a charge of computer-aided solicitation of a minor, indecent behavior with a juvenile, extortion and obstruction of justice.
According to Mandeville police, Pardo threatened to post the images of the girl on social media and harm her boyfriend if she did not meet him for sex.
Pardo drove to Mandeville on Wednesday after the girl appeared to agree to meet him at Mandeville City Park, police said. Instead, he was met by law enforcement officers and arrested without incident. He could face additional charges, police said.
Police declined to identify Pardo’s relationship to the victim or how he first allegedly obtained the photos of her.
Man sought in rape of woman on Treme corner
New Orleans police are trying to identify a man wanted in connection with an aggravated rape this month in Treme.
Police said the victim was at work Monday night when an acquaintance she knows only as Kevin, whom she met in August on Bourbon Street, showed up and began to talk to her.
The 32-year-old victim agreed to walk with the man after she left work. They were at Gov. Nicholls and Marais streets about 12:20 a.m. when the woman said she was tired and wanted to go home. The man insisted she stay with him and grabbed her by the throat, police said.
He threatened to kill her, overpowered her and sexually assaulted her, police said. He then took her belongings and fled.
The victim was treated at a hospital for cuts to her neck and face.
Police released a surveillance image of the man and described him as black, about 5-foot-9 and 165 pounds with a short, faded Mohawk with a bleach-blond top. He wore a black hooded jacket with a leopard print and dark-colored sweatpants with white stripes, police said.
Anyone with information on his identity is asked to contact sex crimes Detective Vernon Haynes at (504) 658-5523.
Two women suspected in carjacking, chase
Two women are behind bars in connection with a carjacking Wednesday afternoon in the Lower Garden District.
Police allege Dalisha Hebert, 22, and Erione Lee, 34, carjacked the victim about 2:30 p.m. in the 900 block of Market Street.
The victim told police she was in the front seat of her Honda Civic when she saw Hebert standing behind her with a pistol in her hand. Hebert ordered her out of the car.
At that point, police said, Lee hopped into the driver’s seat, and Hebert got into the passenger seat, and they drove away.
A short time later, officers spotted the car driving erratically in the 1900 block of Terpsichore Street. A brief chase ended when the car crashed into a Dumpster in the 1900 block of Felicity Street.
The women jumped out of the car and ran away but were arrested minutes later.
Police said Hebert still had the pistol used in the carjacking in her possession when she was taken into custody.
The victim identified Hebert as one of the people who took her car, police said. She could not identify Lee as a suspect.
The women were booked with armed robbery with a firearm. Lee also was booked with reckless driving, hit-and-run and on a warrant out of Mobile, Alabama, according to Orleans Parish Prison records.
Teen booked in robbery of pizza delivery driver
A 16-year-old was arrested Thursday after police identified him as the person they suspect robbed a pizza delivery driver Tuesday afternoon in Algiers.
The victim told police that as she returned to the pizza store in the 4800 block of Gen. Meyer Avenue about 4:10 p.m. after making a delivery, the teenager walked up to her and pulled out a knife.
“Give me your money, or I’m going to stab you,” he reportedly said.
The victim gave him $90, and he ran away.
Employees of the store spotted the teen again about 1:30 p.m. Thursday. They told police they recognized him as someone they saw loitering in the area before the robbery. The officers tried to stop the teen, who ran. He was arrested in the 2600 block of Bristol Place without incident.
The victim arrived a short time later and identified the teen as the person who had robbed her.
He was booked with armed robbery and aggravated assault. His identity was not available because of his age.
Police ID second man suspected in robbery
Police have identified another suspect in a recent armed robbery of three women in the Marigny.
Malik Lester, 17, allegedly took part in the robbery that happened about 4 a.m. Oct. 10 at Touro and North Rampart streets, police said.
The victims were walking when two unknown men demanded their purses and phones. The victims handed over their belongings, and the robbers ran away.
After the robbery, the suspects uploaded cellphone photos of themselves to one victim’s online account. She identified Lester as one of the robbers, police said.
Police previously identified 20-year-old Darious Anderson as the other alleged robber. He remains at large.
Detective Steve Nolan is in charge of the investigation and can be contacted at (504) 658-6080.
N.O. police seek two in recent purse snatching
Police are trying to identify and locate a man and woman wanted in a purse snatching in the French Quarter.
The 24-year-old victim and a friend were walking near Bourbon and Gov. Nicholls streets about midnight on Monday when the unknown man and woman walked up and began to talk to them, police said.
The man then grabbed the victim’s purse and ran north on Gov. Nicholls. The woman ran west on Bourbon.
Police described the man as black with a dark complexion, about 6 feet tall, 160 pounds and with long, wavy black hair. He wore a pink collared shirt, a gray, hooded zip-up sweatshirt and blue jeans. The woman was described as black and wearing a red hooded sweatshirt.
Detective Chris LaBorde is in charge of the investigation and can be reached at (504) 658-6080.
Man sought in recent simple robbery case
Police have obtained a warrant for a man wanted in a robbery on the edge of the Warehouse District.
Cornell Jones, 33, allegedly robbed a 28-year-old woman as she sat in her car while waiting for a tow truck after an accident near Calliope Street and St. Charles Avenue.
The robbery happened about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, police said.
Police said Jones walked up to the woman’s car and offered to help her. He then allegedly took her wallet from the passenger seat and ran away.
Jones wears a false brace on his leg to solicit money from passing vehicles in the area, police said, and is known to use the alias “Edwin Jones.”
Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.
Abandoned business burns on Uptown corner
An abandoned Uptown business burned Thursday in a two-alarm fire.
The New Orleans Fire Department was called to the former LeRoux Restaurant and Banquet Hall in the 1700 block of Louisiana Avenue about 1:50 p.m. and found smoke pouring out of the boarded-up, two-story building.
Firefighters forced their way in and rang a second alarm because of the size of the building and how close it is to an occupied three-story building.
Forty-two firefighters had the fire under control at 2:35 p.m.
No one was injured, and the cause is under investigation.