One of the men suspected killing one man and wounding another in a brazen mid-Wednesday barrage in the parking lot of Melba’s Restaurant that was caught on tape has confessed to his role in the attack, an NOPD detective said in an arrest warrant.
Jacob Love, 26, reportedly admitted that he that he took part in the shooting along with a man named Janero McBride. Coroner Jeffrey Rouse identified the man slain in the attack as Toby Roche, 24. He was sitting in the passenger side of the red Honda targeted in the assault. Another, unidentified man was also shot in the car and taken to Interim LSU Hospital.
Gunshots rang through the air of the popular po-boy shop around 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday. A surveillance video of the shocking attack shows one man jumping out of a white Hyundai, which had been lying in wait, and pumping rounds into the red Honda. Then the Hyundai’s passenger also pokes his hand out the door with a gun and lets off more shots.
Police found Roche dead inside the Honda at the corner of Bienville and Crozat streets, blocks away from a hospital, minutes later.
Love was taken into custody in the 1200 block of Spain Street by Fifth District officers shortly after the attack, according to a warrant signed by Detective Rayell Johnson. He has been booked on counts on second degree murder and attempted second degree murder, and is being held on $1,000,000 bond.
The man Love fingered as the second gunman, 23-year-old McBride, has a lengthy record of arrests on counts such as aggravated battery, possession with intent to distribute heroin, illegally carrying a weapon as a felon.
Police have not formally stated that they are searching for McBride. A spokesman said no new arrests had been made in the case as of Thursday afternoon.