The St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office deputy shot to death by fellow officers after taking his wife hostage in LaPlace last week had fired his weapon before police arrived on the scene and then verbally threatened the deputies who raced to respond, according to investigators with the Louisiana State Police.

State Police said Friday they are still investigating the incident, which began the afternoon of Sept. 24 with an argument between Lt. Nolan Anderson and his wife at 261 Pine St. When it was over, Anderson had been shot by his fellow deputies; he died later that afternoon at River Parishes Hospital. His wife was treated for unspecified injuries, but no one else was shot.

Neither State Police nor the Sheriff’s Office have named the officers involved in the shooting, though they have been placed on limited duty.

The information released Friday largely corroborates what was reported shortly after the shooting.

Anderson, a 25-year veteran of the Sheriff’s Office who was on-duty at the time, used his police radio to make threatening statements to the responding deputies after 911 calls from neighbors began coming in at 1:38 p.m., State Police said.

“Several shots were fired inside the home prior to and during the deputies’ arrival,” according to a release of investigators’ preliminary findings.

Deputies said they arrived to find Anderson holding his wife at gunpoint, which has been confirmed by witness statements and video footage obtained from the scene, State Police said.

The investigation found Anderson fired his department-issued gun in several directions and then placed his wife in imminent danger before his fellow officers decided to use lethal force.

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff Mike Tregre has referred all inquiries about the incident to State Police, whom his office contacted immediately after the shooting.

Troop B spokeswoman Melissa Matey said no details are available about what started the argument between Anderson and his wife, which reportedly took place at the home of their daughter on the southern end of Pine Street.

Tregre said Anderson was known as a “gentle giant” and that the Sheriff’s Office was shocked at the turn of events.

The investigation remains ongoing with witness interviews and forensic testing continuing to be conducted by State Police investigators and crime lab technicians.