CHRISTMAS CONCERTS: Jazz pianist Ellis Marsalis will perform at 6 p.m. Dec. 4 at St. Louis Cathedral as part of the Christmas New Orleans Style Concert Series presented by French Quarter Festivals Inc.
Other concerts in the 2014 series are:
- Shades of Praise, gospel, 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 7
- Rachel Van Voorhees, classical, 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 8
- Tim Laughlin, jazz, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 9
- Helen Gillet and Friends, French and Belgian folk and jazz, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 10
- St. Raymond/St. Leo Voices of Greatness, gospel, 6 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 14
- O Holy Night of Opera, classical/opera, 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 15
- Hot Club of New Orleans, jazz, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 16
- Ronnie Kole, variety/piano, 6 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 17
- Christmas Organ Spectacular featuring Karol Mossakowski, young artist in residence at St. Louis Cathedral, 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 18
- St. Louis Basilica Christmas Concert, classical, 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21
FAITH PRESBYTERIAN FALL FEST: The Women of Faith Presbyterian Church, 2525 Apollo Ave., Harvey, are hosting Fall Fest at 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 6, with a buffet dinner, and silent and live auctions of handmade afghans, home dé cor and other items.
Proceeds will be used for mission projects including Project Hope, which provides meals for the homeless at First Presbyterian Church, New Orleans; scholarships for youth camps, hosting work groups and the new nonprofit Westbank Community Ministries.
A donation of $10 per person is requested. For reservations or information, call (504) 368-2525, (504) 392-2399 or (504) 210-5027.
ALGIERS UMC: Algiers United Methodist Church will present a Christmas concert at 10:15 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 7, at 637 Opelousas Ave., Algiers Point. The concert will begin at 10:15 a.m. with Scott Manzella and the Metairie Lodge Jazz Band. The worship service will begin at 10:45 a.m. with the choir leading the celebration with Christmas music. The Shepherdess Dancers also will perform.
CHANUKAH: Light Up the First Night of Chanukah, a basketball benefit for Jewish children’s education in the greater New Orleans area, will be Dec. 16, the first night of Chanukah. Tipoff is at 7 p.m. at the Smoothie King Center as the Pelicans play the Utah Jazz. Students from the Jewish Community Day School will open the game with the national anthem.