'Will likely spend the rest of his life in jail," Mitch Landrieu says of man who shot Tulane med student _lowres

Euric Cain (Photo from New Orleans Police Department)

U.S. marshals and New Orleans SWAT team members on Monday arrested the suspect in the shooting of a Tulane University medical student who has been hailed as a good Samaritan for trying to stop an abduction. Police said the man quickly confessed to the crime.

Police said they arrested Euric Cain, 21, about 11:30 a.m. Monday in the 2200 block of Delachaise Street. He was booked on counts of attempted first-degree murder, armed robbery with a firearm, attempted armed robbery with a firearm and second-degree kidnapping.

Two women were found inside the Uptown house along with Cain. Detectives arrested one of them, his 17-year-old girlfriend Nictoria Washington, who they said acted as an accessory after the fact to armed robbery.

Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said Cain had given a full confession to the crime that included his actions against both fourth-year medical student Peter Gold and the unidentified woman he was trying to help.

Harrison could not say whether Cain had expressed any remorse.

“Now he will likely spend the rest of his life in jail, as he should. And what a waste it is,” Mayor Mitch Landrieu said. “This should send a message to all those who are making bad decisions by committing crimes and putting innocent people in harm’s way.”

A detective’s sharp pair of eyes led to a major break in the case, Harrison said. That detective spotted Cain’s SUV in the 2200 block of John Raphael Place on Sunday morning, which led police to identify him as their lead suspect. Residents’ tips also helped identify Cain.

Police said video surveillance showed Cain dragging a woman to his SUV about 4 a.m. Friday near Magazine and St. Mary streets. Police have not said what they believe Cain intended to do to the woman. But at just that moment, police said, Gold drove up and tried to intervene in the situation.

Cain turned his gun on Gold and demanded money from him, police said. When the student said he did not have any on him, Cain became enraged and shot him once in the stomach, police said. Cain tried to shoot him twice in the head, but the gun jammed, police said.

Tulane President Michael Fitts said in an emailed message that Gold’s condition continues to improve and he remains in guarded condition.

“We are indebted to the New Orleans Police Department and the U.S. Marshals Service for apprehending the suspect in this case,” Fitts said. “Those who have known Peter the best and the longest — his family, his friends and his Tulane family — also marvel at his courage and character as we direct all our thoughts and prayers to his healing.”

Cain has a history of arrests. He pleaded guilty in July 2012 to illegal carrying of a weapon and in May 2014 to stealing a motor vehicle.

His most recent brush with the law came earlier this month. A carjacking victim told police Nov. 2 that he had tracked his stolen cellphone to the corner of Second and Freret streets. When he went to the intersection, he told police, he saw Cain holding his phone and then getting into a Toyota Camry with another man.

Cain and a passenger in his car, Anthony Herbert, were both booked on possession of stolen property in the amount of $900. He pleaded guilty the next day to a lesser count of illegal possession of stolen things under $300 and was quickly released.