New Orleans police have arrested the man they suspect bound and shot a woman in the Lower 9th Ward earlier this month.

Briceson Carter, 29, was already in jail on a series of other charges after he allegedly robbed a woman at gunpoint on the Mississippi River levee in the Holy Cross neighborhood, marched her to her nearby, shot at her as she later tried to escape and then attempted to set ablaze the police car in which he was placed when he was arrested.

Detectives on Friday rearrested Carter and booked him with second-degree murder in connection with the death of 38-year-old Brandy Keenan.

Keenan was discovered about 8:40 a.m. on Oct. 17 near the corner of Choctaw Street and Florida Avenue. She appeared to have been dead two or three days when police found her remains after receiving an anonymous tip.

There were no obvious signs of trauma to her body, but investigators quickly classified the death a homicide. Keenan was bound at the hands and feet when she was discovered, John Gagliano, the coroner’s chief investigator, said Friday.

Keenan was later identified through fingerprints and tattoos, the coroner’s office has said.

Detectives Michael McCleery and Robert Bachelder identified Carter as a suspect after interviews, reviews of surveillance footage from the area and additional information from someone who knew Keenan, said NOPD spokeswoman Remi Braden.

“After looking over this suspect’s extensive rap sheet, it’s clear that detectives McCleery and Bachelder have managed to get possibly one of the city’s most violent offenders off our streets,” Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas said in a prepared statement.

Carter has 17 felony arrests, 14 misdemeanor arrests and one traffic arrest.

He was arrested Oct. 13 in connection with the robbery of the woman on the river levee earlier that morning and booked on charges of armed robbery, armed robbery with a firearm, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated burglary, aggravated battery, aggravated assault with a firearm, attempted simple escape, simple criminal damage to property valued at less than $500, simple arson and resisting an officer, according to Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office records.

His bond for that arrest was set at $750,000.

Carter, who has a record in Orleans Parish of several drug, robbery and gun arrests and one prior second-degree murder charge for which he was found not guilty, was in court as recently as Oct. 3 for a charge of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. He was out on $25,000 bail after that arrest in January.

After he was released on bail he fled to Mississippi, despite having signed a bond contract that forbade him to commit new crimes or to leave the state. He was caught in Lawrence County, Miss., apparently growing marijuana, according to the county Sheriff’s Office.

He spent a month in the Mississippi jail and missed a court date in New Orleans.

When he returned, an Orleans Parish Criminal District Court judge declined to revoke his bond and allowed him to remain free.

“One victim of crime is one too many,” Serpas said. “This suspect obviously made a practice of victimizing people.”