Officer pleads not guilty to domestic abuse

A New Orleans police officer pleaded not guilty Thursday to one count of domestic abuse battery, according to court documents.

The officer, Marcel Albert, was placed on emergency suspension without pay pending the outcome of his criminal case, police said.

Prosecutors filed a bill of information against him Wednesday.

Bail of $2,500 was set for Albert, and Criminal District Court Judge Tracey Flemings-Davillier set a discovery hearing for May 9.

The Police Department did not respond to a request for additional information about the allegations against Albert.

It also did not respond to a public-records request seeking information about the case.

Teen wounded during LaPlace shooting dies

A teenager wounded during a shooting in LaPlace died Wednesday, St. John the Baptist Parish authorities said.

Calvin Edmond, 17, was shot about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday at Yorktowne and Fairway drives.

Deputies found Edmond on the ground with a gunshot wound to the back of the head.

Neighbors told investigators they heard several gunshots before they found the teen.

One resident said a bullet shattered a glass door, and the exterior of her house had several bullet holes.

He was taken to River Parish Hospital and later Interim LSU Hospital in New Orleans, where he died Wednesday.

Edmond’s death is the second homicide in St. John the Baptist Parish this year.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to call the Sheriff’s Office tip line at (985) 359-7477 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

N.O. police investigate report of juvenile rape

New Orleans police said they are investigating a report that one juvenile raped another.

The incident was reported about 9 a.m. Wednesday in the 6100 block of Tullis Drive in Algiers.

Police did not provide the age of either juvenile or any other details.

Three booked in string of Lakeview robberies

Three men are behind bars, suspected of committing three armed robberies within minutes of each other Wednesday in Lakeview.

Police said a victim’s cellphone with a tracking device led them to Jamal Bartley, 22; Gerald Williams, 21; and Jarvis Brown, 19.

All three robberies were committed by an armed man who stole items from the victims, then hopped into an idling green truck.

The first victim, who was working on a home, was robbed about 3:30 p.m. in the 1400 block of Harrison Avenue, police said.

A few minutes later, a woman getting out of her car in the 6500 block of Gen. Diaz Street was robbed of her purse.

One minute later, around the corner in the 900 block of Porteous Street, a woman sitting on her porch was robbed.

Police were able to locate the suspects near Iberville and Marais streets using a tracking device on one victim’s cellphone.

Officers pulled over the truck and found a loaded pistol inside it and several items taken from the three victims, including the cellphone the police had been tracking.

Bartley and Williams confessed to the robberies, police said. Brown did not cooperate with investigators.

The suspects were booked with armed robbery, illegal carrying of weapons and possession of marijuana.

Teen ID’d as suspect in Central City slaying

New Orleans police said Thursday they have secured a warrant for a 17-year-old wanted in connection with a recent fatal shooting in Central City.

Police allege Johntrell “John John” Washington, 17, shot Racquel Gillard, 38, on April 14 in the 2300 block of Josephine Street. She died later at Interim LSU Hospital.

Washington, whose last known address is in the 3100 block of Cambronne Street, should be considered armed and dangerous, police said.

Anyone with information on his whereabouts is asked to contact Homicide Detective Travis Ward at (504) 658-5300 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Autopsy may provide man’s cause of death

Authorities are awaiting the results of an autopsy to find out what killed an unidentified man whose decomposing body was discovered Thursday inside a Central City building.

The body was found about noon in the 2600 block of South Claiborne Avenue.

The body appeared to have been inside the building for an extended period of time and was in an advanced stage of decomposition, said Officer Garry Flot, a Police Department spokesman.

Investigators did not find any obvious signs of trauma or foul play, Flot said.