Robert Durst, the multimillionaire real estate heir accused of murder in Los Angeles, was indicted Friday by a federal grand jury in New Orleans on a single count of possessing a firearm as a convicted felon, a charge that carries up to 10 years in prison.
Like a similar state indictment handed up this week, the federal charge stems from a loaded handgun that authorities found last month in Durst’s room at the JW Marriott Hotel on Canal Street.
Authorities have said Durst, 71, was attempting to flee a murder charge in the 2000 killing in Los Angeles of Susan Berman, a onetime friend. Durst also was found to be in possession of 5 ounces of marijuana, authorities have said.
The local charges, both state and federal, have indefinitely delayed Durst’s return to California to face the murder charge, even though he hasn’t fought extradition.
He is scheduled to appear in federal court Tuesday afternoon. He is not expected back in state court until May 7.
Durst is being held without bail at the medical unit of Elayn Hunt Correctional Center, about 70 miles west of New Orleans. His 72nd birthday is Sunday.