Two brothers accused of spraying bullets through a second-line parade, injuring 19 people in a 2013 Mother’s Day shooting that cast ripples of fear across the city, are poised to admit to the crimes Wednesday in federal court.
Akein “Keemy” Scott, 22, and Shawn “Shizzle” Scott, 26, along with a relative, Stanley “Stizzle” Scott, are expected to enter guilty pleas at a 2 p.m. appearance before U.S. District Judge Ivan Lemelle, court records show.
All three were slated to stand trial next month along with alleged gang ringleader Travis “Trap” Scott in a federal racketeering conspiracy case. Prosecutors say they were members or associates of “FnD,” a 7th Ward gang that claimed the area around Frenchmen and North Derbigny streets for their stomping grounds.
With the expected guilty pleas, only one of the nine defendants originally indicted would still be awaiting trial. Travis Scott, an older brother, is accused of threatening witnesses over the Mother’s Day shooting, among other crimes.
Members of the group also are accused in the attempted murders of three people in July 2012 and of four others in March 2012, part of an alleged conspiracy that federal prosecutors say began in 2006.
The most recent version of the indictment alleges 24 counts against six of the men, including the racketeering conspiracy and a drug conspiracy that carry the possibility of life in prison.
At the center of the racketeering case is the May 12, 2013, gunfire at Frenchmen and North Villere streets, which authorities claim was part of a larger drug feud.
In all, 20 people were injured — including one person who was trampled — yet no one was killed. Police said Akein and Shawn Scott began firing from opposite sides of the street, scattering a panicked second-line crowd.
“Members of the enterprise and their associates promoted a climate of fear throughout the area of its operations and adjoining neighborhoods through violence and threats of violence,” the indictment alleges.
One of the Mother’s Day shooting victims, New Orleans writer Deborah “Big Red” Cotton, said Tuesday that she is relieved the case won’t go to trial.
“I certainly didn’t want to have to relive any of it,” she said. “And I didn’t want to have to be called to testify.”
Cotton, 50, lost a kidney in the shooting. She has undergone more than 30 surgeries since then and continues to suffer physically. She said she has forgiven Akein and Shawn Scott, even if she still thinks they need to be punished.
“I’m forgiving in order to move on,” she said, recalling how she remained fixated on the image of Akein Scott after the incident because of his resemblance to her nephew.
“I have suffered enough,” she said. “It doesn’t mean I don’t hold them accountable for what they did, or that they should be let out of jail.”
Cotton also lays blame on a city that often has failed to commit enough resources to impoverished neighborhoods, pointing to “the part that we play in creating the monsters that live around us.”
Akein Scott’s attorney, Julie Tizzard, declined to comment on the pending guilty pleas.
Shawn Scott’s attorney, Billy Gibbens, also declined to comment.
Travis and Akein Scott originally were charged in state court, but the feds adopted the Mother’s Day shooting case and folded it into a wider indictment of the Scott clan, attaching the allegations to a pending gun case that at first only named Travis Scott as the keeper of an illegal cache of firearms.
Travis Scott’s attorney, Patrick McGinity, also declined to comment.
Along with the racketeering, drug conspiracy and firearms conspiracy counts against all six indicted men, several gun assaults also were attributed to various combinations of Akein Scott, Shawn Scott, Stanley Scott and Travis Scott.
Follow John Simerman on Twitter, @johnsimerman.