Accused NOPD cop killer Travis Boys makes first court appearance under heavy security on Tuesday _lowres

Advocate staff photo by JOHN McCUSKER -- Travis Boys is transported to Orleans Parish Prison Tuesday, June 30, 2015 after a court appearance.

An internal Police Department investigation has been launched to determine if the son of a New Orleans police officer helped hide Travis Boys as he ran from the law after Officer Daryle Holloway was fatally shot June 20.

Police Superintendent Michael Harrison confirmed the probe Wednesday after sources previously told WWL-TV and The New Orleans Advocate that the officer’s son was suspected of aiding or harboring Boys, who police say shot Holloway while he was being taken to Central Lockup in handcuffs.

“The officer who had a son that may be involved, (the Public Integrity Bureau) is working to investigate that, and those investigators are asking the right questions,” Harrison said, adding that if any wrongdoing is discovered, “we will do what needs to be done to rectify that.”

In a separate interview with The New Orleans Advocate on Wednesday, Harrison said PIB has interviewed the officer and her son and is investigating whether the son had anything to do with “the amount of time (Boys) was at large.”

Multiple sources have said investigators have conducted searches in the 2200 block of North Derbigny Street, where the officer owns a pair of properties. The officer has not been reassigned or accused of any wrongdoing.

According to the sources, investigators were drawn to the block as they searched for metal links cut from Boys’ handcuffs, as well as bolt cutters or some other tool used to cut the links.

Boys is accused of shooting Holloway as he drove the suspect to the jail to be booked on a count of aggravated assault. He was captured the following morning in the Lower 9th Ward. The handcuffs were still around his wrists, though the two shackles had been cut apart.

While police have said a .38-caliber gun was used in the alleged assault that led to Boys’ initial arrest, a .40-caliber Smith & Wesson was used to shoot Holloway. A newly released police report shows that investigators recovered a .40-caliber casing next door to the home where Boys initially was arrested, though it remains unclear how he accessed the firearm while riding in the back seat of Holloway’s police vehicle.

The report, first obtained Tuesday by WVUE-TV, also said police discovered as Boys changed custody between officers that he had managed to move his cuffed hands from behind his body to in front — a move he allegedly accomplished again before attacking Holloway.

WWL-TV reporter Bill Capo and Advocate staff writer Jim Mustian contributed to this report.