Update: New Orleans Police have made an arrest in this case.

A man was shot to death Friday afternoon near the New Orleans Police Department headquarters on South Broad Street. A body could be seen lying in the middle of the Broad Street overpass as law enforcement officials rushed to the scene about 2:30 p.m.

Police said a 29-year-old man was fatally shot on the overpass, while a second man was shot and wounded.

A courthouse source identified the surviving victim as Sean Halligan, 32, who works in information technology for Orleans Parish Criminal District Court.

An employee at one of the bail bond offices near the courthouse said he heard multiple gunshots. The man, who asked not to be named, said it sounded like two different weapons were involved.

Officer Garry Flot, an NOPD spokesman, said the second victim’s injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

It was not immediately clear what led to the shootings.

Deputy Superintendent Robert Bardy told reporters that investigators were looking for a silver or gray pickup in connection with the shootings.

Witnesses said they saw a silver four-door Nissan Titan fleeing the scene, Flot said in a statement later Friday afternoon.

Bardy said authorities were investigating another incident a few blocks away that appeared to be related; in it, a person in a vehicle pointed a gun at somebody.

Investigators also were checking with businesses in the nearby Zion City neighborhood to see if they had any surveillance footage of the vehicle, Bardy said. Detectives were interviewing two witnesses at a local hospital.

Halligan was standing outside the courthouse about 2:30 p.m. when a vehicle pulled up, the courthouse source said. Someone in the vehicle asked Halligan whether the vehicle had a flat, the source said, and Halligan was examining the tire when he was shot.

Lt. Walter Givens, of the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office, said he heard shots fired as he was getting into his vehicle.

“I immediately turned around and saw a gentleman holding his side,” Givens said, referring to Halligan.

Givens said he was checking on the victim, who stood up, when he was flagged down “by another young individual” who told him there was a body on the bridge.

According to the courthouse source, Halligan was grazed in the belly and the arm and taken to Interim LSU Hospital.

“The court is always and continues to be concerned about the safety and well-being of its employees,” Criminal District Court spokeswoman Angela Young said. “Our prayers are with the victim and the family.”

Earlier in the day, Halligan had been working in the Section H courtroom, where Judge Camille Buras was presiding over the murder trial of Thaddeus Ross, a 24-year-old accused of a 2011 shooting that killed one and injured three others, including a 3-month-old girl. Closing arguments in the case began in the afternoon.

Homicide Detective Barret Morton is in charge of the investigation of Friday’s shootings. He can be reached at (504) 658-5300.

Staff writer John Simerman contributed reporting.