Man gunned down in SUV on N.O. East street

An unidentified man was found shot to death Thursday morning inside an SUV in New Orleans East, police said.

The discovery was reported about 7 a.m. in the 8000 block of Lacombe Street, said Officer Hilal Williams, a Police Department spokeswoman.

The victim, whose identity was withheld pending notification of family, was found inside a BMW X3 with a gunshot wound to his head, Williams said.

Police did not immediately identify a suspect or motive.

Anyone with information is asked to contact homicide Detective Melanie Dillon at (504) 658-5300 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Warrant obtained in Frenchmen St. death

New Orleans police have obtained an arrest warrant for the suspect in a recent shooting death on Frenchmen Street in Faubourg Marigny.

Dominique Jenkins, 21, allegedly shot Julius Dunn about 1:20 a.m. June 25 in the 500 block of Frenchmen. Dunn, 21, died at 4:20 a.m. at Interim LSU Hospital from a wound to his chest, authorities said.

Police said the shooting stemmed from an ongoing feud between the two.

It could be some time before Jenkins returns to New Orleans to face the charges police have brought against him.

He is serving a five-year sentence at the Ouachita Parish Correctional Center on a Jefferson Parish conviction for narcotics-related activities.

Police did not say when he was jailed there.

Chalmette men booked with attempted murder

Two Chalmette brothers were arrested Wednesday and booked on six counts each of attempted murder after one of them allegedly fired bullets into the home of a man with whom they had an argument, the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff’s Office said.

Tremaine “Dudu” Moses, 17, and Germaine “Maine” Moses, 19, surrendered about noon Wednesday. They were accompanied by their mother, who had been told deputies had arrest warrants for them, Sheriff James Pohlmann said.

The gunfire happened outside a home in the 9100 block of West Virtue Street about 10:45 p.m. July 22.

The man the brothers had argued with said he recognized both suspects but did not know which one shot at him, Pohlmann said.

Deputies found six spent .45 casings in the front yard and five bullet holes in the front door. One shot hit a fish tank, two went through a wall into the bathroom and another hit the refrigerator.

Beside the man the suspects argued with, five other people, including three children, were in the house, but no one was injured.

The brothers, who denied involvement, were booked into the St. Bernard Parish Prison. Bail was not immediately set.

Sex offender arrested in online dating meeting

Kenner police have arrested a convicted sex offender suspected of using an online dating site to set up a meeting with someone who turned out to be an undercover officer.

The meeting was a violation of rules related to Robert Longo’s status as a convicted sex offender, said Sgt. Brian McGregor, a Kenner Police Department spokesman.

Police began to investigate Longo, 54, on July 14 after they received a tip that he was using the website Plenty of Fish to try to arrange dates under the username “quarterman01.”

Longo in 2007 was found guilty of child pornography charges by a jury in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna. He served three years and was released on Aug. 14, 2010.

Because of his conviction, Longo is required to register as a sex offender for 25 years, McGregor said. State law prohibits him from using social networking websites because he was convicted of pornography involving juveniles.

On July 23, Longo arrived at a prearranged location to meet a person with whom he had exchanged messages on the website. That person actually was an undercover police detective, and Longo was arrested, McGregor said.

Longo was booked with unlawful use of social networking websites. He remained in custody Thursday; bail had not been set.

Anyone who might have met Longo on a social media website is asked to call Sgt. Robert McGraw at (504) 712-2312.

Men swipe cash from 7th Ward restaurant

Two unknown men broke into a 7th Ward restaurant early Thursday and made off with cash from the register, New Orleans police said.

The men used a hammer or hatchet to shatter the glass on the front door of the restaurant in the 1100 block of North Broad Street about 5 a.m., police said.

One of the men took $150 in cash from the register and also stole the tip jar. The second man rummaged behind the counter. Both ran away on foot.

Police did not provide a description of either man.

Anyone with information about this burglary is asked to call Detective John Mitchell at (504) 658-6349 or Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

St. Bernard authorities investigate man’s death

St. Bernard Parish authorities are investigating the death of a 53-year-old Chalmette man whose body was found Thursday afternoon in Torres Park.

There was no obvious cause of death, nor was there any indication of foul play, Sheriff James Pohlmann said.

Detectives suspect the man’s death was “self-induced,” Pohlmann said. An autopsy is pending.

A woman walking in the park found the man’s body a little before 2 p.m. His identity was not immediately released.