Megabus smuggling indictment unsealed, and other area crime news _lowres

Photo provided by New Orleans Police Department -- The NOPD is asking for the public’s assistance in locating and identifying a suspect only know by the nickname of Benz, who is wanted for Aggravated Assault. The incident took place August 16, 2015, in the 3700 block of Bruxelles Street.

Megabus smuggling indictment unsealed

A federal indictment unsealed Friday charged four people, including two New Orleans residents, with drug trafficking via Megabus.

Thomas “Ice” Gordon, 31, and Donald “Deebo” Ealy, 37, both of New Orleans, are accused of conspiring with Houston residents Martha Quinones, 50, and Kevin Gonzales, 24, in a scheme to smuggle heroin from Houston into the Crescent City via a Megabus.

JPSO seeks man in gas station armed robbery

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office is searching for a man who held up an Exxon gas station at 1570 West Bank Expressway in Harvey early Friday morning.

Deputies said the man entered the station about 12:50 a.m. with a handgun and demanded cash. He drove away in a light-colored, late-model Chevrolet Malibu.

He was described as a slim black man, 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall.

The Sheriff’s Office asked anyone with information about his identity to call the JPSO Robbery Section at (504) 364-5376.

Suspect in Central City murder arrested

New Orleans police have arrested a man in an Aug. 3 murder in Central City.

Johnquell Bibbins Sr., 27, was booked Thursday on one count of second-degree murder and one count of aggravated flight from an officer.

Detective Joe Jefferson said Bibbins killed Jonathan Ruth, 32, with a shot to the head in the 2200 block of Delachaise Street. Police said Crimestoppers tips helped them label Bibbins as a suspect.

Magistrate Judge Harry Cantrell ordered Bibbins held on $800,000 bail.

Man convicted of lesser charge in killing

An Orleans Parish jury on Thursday convicted Kermitt Bernhatt, 23, of manslaughter in the October 2012 killing of Christopher Lambert, 21, near the former Lafitte housing development.

Prosecutors had sought a second-degree murder conviction.

Bernhatt is to be sentenced Sept. 9.

Jury deadlocks in trial jumper’s gun case

An Orleans Parish jury deadlocked Thursday night in the case of a man who walked out of an earlier trial on a charge of felony possession of a firearm.

Harry Riggins, 29, won a measure of notoriety when he skipped out at the start of his trial in May. He was apprehended a month later.

When a new trial was held this week, prosecutors still were not able to get their man. The jury deadlocked after hours of deliberation and was dismissed.

Two shootings reported overnight in N.O.

Two men were wounded in separate shootings, one in the 7th Ward and one in New Orleans East.

Police said a 27-year-old man was driving in the 1800 block of Kerlerec Street about 2:30 a.m. Friday when he was shot. He was taken to a hospital in a private vehicle.

Then, shortly before 3 a.m., a 22-year-old man was shot at an unknown location in New Orleans East. Seventh District police said he was taken to a hospital in a private vehicle and put into surgery.

Burglars burst into Bywater man’s house

Police said four men barged into a man’s residence in the 600 block of France Street about 12:45 a.m. Friday and took his MacBook, cellphone and $17.

The victim, 35, had entered the residence without locking the door behind him.

N.O. woman admits to Road Home swindle

A New Orleans woman pleaded guilty Thursday to submitting false records to the Road Home Program in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

Deborah Fortner, 53, faces up to five years behind bars. She’s scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 3.

Prosecutors said Fortner submitted an altered bank statement to the program to make it appear she had been living at an address before the storm.

Man sought in Sunday shooting incident

New Orleans police Friday were looking for a man known as “Benz” who is wanted in an aggravated assault.

Authorities said Benz opened fire Sunday morning on a man standing on his balcony in the 3700 block of Bruxelles Street. Benz was said to be upset about information the man’s daughter had posted on the social networking site Instagram.

No one was injured in the incident.