New Orleans police have determined that a sexual assault originally described as happening Monday morning in front of the Marriott hotel on Canal Street “did not occur.”

Police first mentioned the incident Tuesday in a daily summary of major crimes distributed to the news media. The crime, which was said to involve a 40-year-old woman, was listed as an aggravated rape that happened at 9:39 a.m.

Shortly before noon Tuesday, police sent a follow-up email saying, without elaboration, that “it has been determined that a sexual assault did not occur.”

“The investigation will be classified as unfounded,” New Orleans Police Department spokeswoman Hilal Williams wrote.

Tyler Gamble, another NOPD spokesman, said the decision had been based on “video surveillance and victim and witness interviews.” He said the department did not anticipate arresting the woman for the filing of a false report.