A lawsuit accusing former Saints pass rusher Junior Galette of trapping a woman in an abusive relationship has been dismissed, the NFL player’s attorney said Monday.
Galette had filed a motion seeking to dismiss the case, arguing the lawsuit was not detailed enough to permit him to mount a meaningful defense.
The woman did not hire a lawyer to represent her after her first one quit months ago, and she did not show up for a hearing on Galette’s motion before Jefferson Parish Judge Donnie Rowan dismissed the case.
“Now, Junior can focus on football and put this ... behind him,” Galette’s attorney, Ralph Whalen, said in a statement. Whalen said Galette — now a member of the Washington Redskins — had done “nothing wrong” despite the accusations made against him by the woman, who also told police the NFL player had beaten her at his home in Kenner early this year.
Kenner police arrested Galette after responding to a disturbance at his home Jan. 5. Prosecutors never charged Galette with a crime despite allegations that he had battered the woman.
The woman nonetheless filed a civil lawsuit against Galette in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna. She accused Galette of falsely imprisoning her in his home with mental and physical abuse for two years, and she claimed she had been drugged and sexually assaulted at his house.
The New Orleans Advocate does not name people who say they are victims of sexual abuse.
Whalen maintained Monday that the lawsuit was filed in retaliation after Galette had rejected an offer to settle the matter for a payment of $2 million.
The plaintiff’s first attorney, Joseph Raspanti, withdrew from the case in March after describing the woman in court papers as “uncooperative and inaccessible.” Because she never hired another one, Whalen needed to hire an investigator to track her down and serve her with Galette’s motion for dismissal.
Separately, on Thursday, Galette pleaded not guilty to charges that he was driving with an expired license and no brake tag on his car when he was pulled over by Causeway Police near the Huey P. Long Bridge on July 7.
Galette spent five seasons with the Saints before the team cut him last month. He had led the Saints in quarterback sacks over the past two seasons, but a series of off-field incidents led the team to sever ties with him.
Earlier this summer, a video surfaced that purportedly showed Galette hitting a woman with a belt during a 2013 brawl on a beach in Miami.
He also was reported to have gotten into a fight with former Saints defensive lineman Brandon Deaderick, and he upset team brass with his frequent and sometimes controversial social media postings.
Galette was supposed to meet with NFL officials at the end of June. It is not known whether he will be suspended for any amount of time during the upcoming season because of the allegations of violence against him.
Galette signed with Washington shortly after the Saints released him.