The Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office announced today several roads in Ascension Parish are currently closed due to water on the roadway. Parish officials reported that all pumps are fully functional and running. Sandbags are available at various location.
Roads that are closed as of 6 p.m. Wednesday:
* Astroland Subdivision
* 3rd Street from Clay Street to Mississippi Street
* West 4th at Catalpa Street
* West 9th at Catalpa Street
* Nicholls Street from Chetimatches to Railroad crossing
* Thibaut Drive at Clay Street
* Church Street at Opelousas Street
* Church Street from Mississippi Street to Clay Street
* Railroad Avenue at City Hall in Donaldsonville
* Underpass at St. Patrick Street and Front Street
* Crescent Place Subdivision
* Cy Bean Bridge at Highway 308
* Evangeline Drive from Memorial Drive to Highway 308
* St. Patrick Street between 2nd and 6th Street
* Market Street at the dead end
* Highway 308 underpass
* Lessard Street between Mississippi Street and Nicholls Street
* Mississippi Street between St. Vincent and Church Street
* Highway 3089 from Thibaut Drive to Church Street
* Hackberry Street at Poplar Street in Sorrento
* Melancon between Highway 22 and Pertuis Road
* Hodgeson at Clouatre
* Highway 3089 City Limits
* Highway 44(River Road) at Burnside Terminal in the curve
* Burnside from Jeansonne to Rome Street
* Raymond Tullier Road
* Railroad at Braud Street
* Pelican Point Subdivision
* Depen Road
* Pelican Crossing Subdivision
* Irah Babin at Swamp Road
* Tommy Moore at US 61
* Maginnis Street at Catadonna Street in Donaldsonville
* Bonnie Lane in Donaldsonville
* Opelousas at Church Street
* St. Patrick Street
* Palm Street at Maginnis Street
* Babin Road at Railroad Crossing
* Broussard between David and Camp Street
* East New River Road at U.S. 61
* Bayou Narcisse from Cleo Road to Highway 431
* Duplessis Road between Airline and Railroad Tracks
* Southwood Village from Highway 73 to Ridgewood
* Garcon Road
* Highway 74 between Old Mill and Highway 73
* Braud between Tommy Moore and Highway 621
* Edenborne Ave
Roads that have water but are passable
* Ashland Road from Highway 75 to Railroad Crossing one lane
* West Orice Roth at South Ringer
* Ernest Floyd Road
* River Ridge Subdivision
* Bayou Narcisse between Roddy Road and Highway 44
* Joe Sevario Road at Highway 933
* Highway 621 between Della Marchand and Mimosa
* Braud at William Ficklin Road
* Highway 73 at Charleston
* Highway 621 between Chick Duplessis and Black Bayou Road
* Highway 621 at A Poirrier Road
* Roddy Road at Shadow Creek
* Highway 621 at Roddy Road
* Duplessis at Essen Terrace
* Manchac Point
* Cornerview at Oleana
* Highway 621 at Chase
* Causey at Braud
* Braud at Woodland
* Chester Diez at LA 74
* Worthey at Boudreaux
Sand and bags are available at these locations:
* Sorrento Town Hall – limited quantity of sand, bring your own shovel
* Lamar-Dixon Expo Center Barn 7– pre-bagged sand bags will be available after 11 a.m.
* Gonzales -- Sandbags available @ City Maintenance Barn.
* Donaldsonville -- Prefilled Sandbag available in Donaldsonville @ the Fair Grounds near the Pavillion.
* Darrow -- 5th Ward Fire Department - Sand and Bags available.
* Prairieville -- Prairieville Fire Department on Hwy 73 - Sand and Bags available
In a related item, the Red Cross opened a shelter at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center Gym.
Volunteers from the American Red Cross Louisiana Capital Area Chapter are opening a shelter at the Lamar Dixon Expo Center Gym for those displaced by flooding. The shelter, located at 9039 South St. Landry Avenue in Gonzales, opened Wednesday at 8:30 p.m.
Those coming to the shelter should bring the following items to make their stay more comfortable:
Identification and important papers.
Blankets, pillows and/or sleeping bags.
Special items for children and infants, such as baby food and diapers.
In St. James Parish, the Office of Emergency Preparedness along with the St. James Parish Sheriff’s provided updated information:
- The shelter location at Lutcher High School is closed.
- The Grand Point Fire Station, Kingview St in Welcome, and Highway Baptist St at Magnolia heights in Vacherie are open with sand and sandbags for residents to fill and pick up.
- Thursday, May 29, 2014 is expected to be a regular workday for all Parish employees.
- Please report flooding information to Flood@stjamesla.com. Make sure to include name, address, phone number, and pictures if available.
- At this time, multiple highways and roads in the Parish remain closed.
Parish Road Closures:
LA 641 to Golden Grove Truck Stop in Gramercy;
LA 3125 @ Golden Grove Truck Stop to 3213 in Gramercy
Partial closures of La. 61 and 3213, and on ramps to Vets Bridge from La. 44 in Gramercy