Gonzales — Four families were displaced Wednesday night when lightning struck an apartment building, District Fire Chief Kris Johnson said Thursday.
One of the buildings at Magnolia Crossing Apartments, 2824 S. Burnside, received a direct hit from a lightning strike, Johnson said.
While the bolt did not spark a fire, the heat from the strike damaged electrical wiring in the building and ruptured an attic water line, causing water damage in two units, he said.
The damage occurred during an evening thunderstorm that produced “one of the worst lightning storms” the district chief said he has ever seen in the Gonzales area.
He said Entergy personnel were summoned to disconnect electrical power to the building and the American Red Cross was requested to assist the 10 adults and nine children living in the building.
No one was injured.