GONZALES — Four families were displaced Wednesday night when lightning struck an apartment building, District Fire Chief Kris Johnson said Thursday.
One of the buildings at Magnolia Crossing Apartments, 2824 S. Burnside, received a direct hit from a lightning strike, Johnson said.
While no fire was started, the heat from the lightning strike damaged the electrical wiring in the building and ruptured the water line in the attic causing water damage in two units, he said.
The damage occurred during a evening thunderstorm that produced “one of the worse lightning storms” the district chief said he has ever seen in the Gonzales area.
He said Entergy was called to disconnect the electricity to the building and the American Red Cross was called to assist the 10 adults and nine children living in the building.
No one was injured.