A Belle Rose man kicked in the door of his former girlfriend’s home early Saturday in Assumption Parish, attacked her and dragged her by her hair to a car and then drove her to Donaldsonville in neighboring Ascension Parish before she could escape, Sheriff’s Office deputies said Monday.

At a moment of opportunity, the woman jumped from the moving car that George Leblanc was driving and ran to another vehicle her friend happened to be driving in Donaldsonville, Assumption deputies said Monday in a news release.

The woman got inside and locked the doors and the woman’s friend called 911 about 2:20 a.m. Saturday, deputies said.

Ascension Parish sheriff’s deputies arrested Leblanc, 38, 125 Grisaffe Lane, Belle Rose, a short time later.

Assumption deputies said a witness told them Leblanc had punched and kicked the former girlfriend while he was in her home and took more than $300 from her wallet before he dragged her to the car.

Leblanc, who previously lived in Donaldsonville, has a lengthy criminal history in Ascension Parish dating back to 2000 and has been arrested on counts that include domestic abuse battery, simple assault and aggravated battery.

He has pleaded guilty to various counts, as well, including violating protective orders and criminal damage, and served stints in parish prison of a few months to less than a year, court minutes show.

Most recently, he was arrested in May in Ascension on counts of unauthorized entry of an inhabited dwelling in Donaldsonville and disturbing the peace. Those charges are still pending, court minutes show. Leblanc has pleaded not guilty.

Leblanc was waiting early Monday afternoon in Ascension Parish Prison near Donaldsonville to be taken to Assumption Parish Detention Center in Napoleonville.

Once in Assumption, he is expected to be booked from the Saturday incident on counts of home invasion, simple kidnapping, simple robbery, domestic abuse battery, violation of a protective order, theft of a motor vehicle and felony criminal damage to property, deputies said.

His bail had not been set by Monday afternoon.