A woman whose lawsuit against Junior Galette over an allegedly abusive relationship was dismissed earlier this year is reviving her allegations against the former Saints player.
Her new lawsuit, filed in 24th Judicial District Court in Gretna, pares back some of the accusations against Galette.
Originally, the woman claimed that she also had been drugged and sexually assaulted at his home in Kenner by other, unidentified Saints players. The new filing alleges only that Galette beat her on the morning of Jan. 5, something he denies.
Kenner police investigated the incident, but the City Attorney’s Office decided not to pursue charges.
In keeping with a policy against naming people who say they are victims of sexual abuse, The New Orleans Advocate is not identifying the woman.
Neither the woman’s attorney, Miguel Elias, nor Galette could be reached for comment Friday.
In the new suit, allotted to state Judge Stephen Enright, the woman claims she was ordered to move out of Galette’s home — where she says she had been living for two years — on Jan. 4 after the two argued “over certain text messages” he found on her cellphone.
The woman says she was packing her belongings the next day when Galette threw her to the floor and then kicked, scratched and punched her, even ripping an earring out of her right ear.
The woman — who seeks damages for pain and suffering, among other things — claims Galette, with the help of a friend, Terrance Banks, took her phone to prevent her from calling the police.
She claims that she fled from the men, grabbed a knife to protect herself and then noticed Galette was recording parts of the incident on video.
Eventually, the woman claims, Galette turned off her phone and threw it toward his car outside. She put the knife down at that point and tried to leave but was then “forcibly thrown” out of the house by Galette, she says.
After that, she says, she called the Kenner Police Department and went to East Jefferson General Hospital for treatment.
Police arrested Galette and Banks on municipal misdemeanor counts shortly after the incident took place, but the Kenner City Attorney’s Office announced in February it would not pursue charges against either man.
Galette’s attorney, Ralph Whalen, asked a judge to dismiss the woman’s original lawsuit on the grounds that it wasn’t detailed enough to permit him to mount a meaningful defense.
Galette also issued a statement at one point saying the woman’s ear was injured when a dog in the house jumped on her during the commotion.
In the meantime, the woman’s original attorney, Joe Raspanti, quit, and she did not show up for a hearing on the motion to dismiss the suit, which was granted by Jefferson Parish Judge Donnie Rowan.
Galette, who spent five seasons with the Saints, was cut by the team this summer. He signed with the Washington Redskins but was ruled out for this season after tearing his Achilles tendon during training camp.
Although Galette was not charged in Kenner, the NFL punished him for his arrest by making him forfeit two weeks’ worth of paychecks he would have earned on the Redskins’ injured reserve.