A 77-year-old man died while trying to save his Marrero home from a fire Monday night, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Emergency responders were called to 1208 Lincoln Ave. about 8:20 p.m. and arrived to find the single-family residence engulfed in flames, Sheriff’s Office spokesman Col. John Fortunato said in a news release. Firefighters entered the home and found Edward Wickers unresponsive on the kitchen floor, Fortunato said.

Wickers was taken out of the residence but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful.

Wickers’ wife told investigators that she was doing laundry and, when she opened the dryer, flames began to shoot out, Fortunato said. Her husband told her to get out of the house and began fighting the blaze with a fire extinguisher.

Fortunato said officials found no signs of foul play or arson.