A hysterical Kacie Breen dialed 911 moments after she twice shot her husband Wayne, screaming and begging for help as she held a shirt to his wounds and told operators that he wasn’t breathing.

The recording of Breen’s 911 call, released this past week in response to a public-records request from The New Orleans Advocate, does not contradict the story that Kacie Breen has told from the beginning: that she and Wayne fought in the early morning of March 1, 2015, that the fight turned physical in the garage of their Folsom-area home and that she shot him as he held her pinned against her SUV.

But the call, and several hundred pictures that also have been released, give a second perspective on what, to date, has only been recounted in court filings by her lawyer.

For context, this is a recording of Kacie Breen's 911 call after she shot her husband.

Kacie Breen has never been arrested for the crime, and three weeks ago, a state grand jury refused to indict her in connection with her husband’s death. However, she does face a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by her husband’s children by his first wife — Kacie was his second wife — and that suit is still pending.

On Friday, Kacie Breen’s lawyer said the 911 call reinforces the narrative that he has presented in court documents: that Kacie Breen feared for her life that night and that she had no choice but to shoot a man who, even by the standards of their volatile relationship, had grown more volcanic in the weeks leading up to the shooting.

An attorney for Wayne Breen’s children, on the other hand, said he doesn’t believe that anything in the 911 call will impact the wrongful-death suit.

Kacie Breen gave a deposition April 5 in the civil case, and Rene Frederick, one of the attorneys for Wayne Breen’s children, said her testimony in that deposition strengthens the children’s wrongful-death claim.

Specifically, he said, she claimed Wayne was holding her so that she couldn’t move, raising the question of how she reached her gun if she couldn’t move.

The 911 call came in about 2:45 a.m. March 1, with a breathless Kacie Breen telling the operator she needed an ambulance.

“It’s a gunshot wound,” she says. “I need an ambulance. Oh, my God.”

“What’s going on there, ma’am?” the operator asks. A few moments later: “Is he conscious and breathing?”

“No,” Breen replies, sobbing hysterically. “Please help me,” she wails.

Operators repeatedly attempt to calm her down so she can do CPR.

“I’m trying, I’m trying,” Breen screams.

“Ma’am, are you able to do CPR?” an operator asks as Breen sobs in the background.

“Oh my God, Wayne, no,” she cries as operators try to get her attention. “Help me God, help me God, help me God.”

After several minutes, operators get her back on the phone and ask her to put a towel against the wound.

Wayne had been strangling her, she tells them on the phone.

Court documents and photos from the scene shed some light on what happened next: As he held her, she reached down into the door pocket of her GMC Acadia, grabbed the Glock handgun that sat in an unzipped holster, pulled out the gun and fired one time.

Wayne jumped back, then lunged at her again. She fired again.

According to the call and the photos from the scene, she put the gun on the floor of her SUV in front of the driver’s seat, where it was recovered by detectives, along with two shell casings.

Other evidence collected at the scene included the clothes that both Breens were wearing and the key to the Acadia, which was bent, apparently during the fight.

In court filings, Kacie Breen’s attorney, Richard Ducote, has alleged that Wayne — known for his fiery temper — had become more and more erratic in the weeks preceding the shooting.

Ducote has said that Kacie had begun making inquiries into Breen’s military service and discovered that although he claimed to have post traumatic stress disorder from his service in Vietnam, in fact he served only stateside.

The unraveling of this lie, Ducote has claimed, set Wayne Breen off.

But attorneys for his children have been skeptical since the start, first challenging his will and then suing Kacie for wrongful death.

Their father was not strong enough to have pinned her to her SUV as she said, they have claimed, and the fact that she filed for succession less than a week after the shooting only stoked their arguments.

The civil case is currently in the discovery phase, according to Frederick. No trial date has been set.

Follow Faimon A. Roberts III on Twitter, @faimon.