ST. PAUL'S SCHOOL: Robert Anthony Ferrante III, a senior at St. Paul's School in Covington, has received an appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, for the fall of 2018. He is the son of Robert and Margaret Ferrante, of Mandeville. Ferrante is a member of the St. Paul’s soccer team and served as kicker for the football team. He is a member of the National Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta and the Spanish National Honor Society. While at Annapolis, he plans to major in aerospace engineering.
NOCCA: Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have been presented to eight students in the creative writing, media arts and visual arts departments at the New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, including Ashton Adcox, of Mandeville, and Peighton Tubre, of Hammond. The contest jurors evaluate submissions on the basis of their originality, technical skill and the emergence of a personal voice or vision. Winners of national gold medals are:
- Zoe Carter, of Harvey, Helen Cox High School, film and animation
- Mary Hemphill, of Marrero, Academy of the Sacred Heart, sculpture
- Akilah Toney, of New Orleans, NOCCA Academic Studio, poetry.
Winners of national silver medals are:
- Ashton Adcox, of Mandeville, NOCCA Academic Studio, painting
- Grace Clement, of Metairie, NOCCA Academic Studio, dramatic script
- Sully Howard, of New Orleans, NOCCA Academic Studio, painting
- Louise Olivier, of New Orleans, Benjamin Franklin High School, science fiction/fantasy
- Peighton Tubre, of Hammond, NOCCA Academic Studio, art portfolio.
ST. PAUL'S ORATORY: Jacob Eilers, a junior at St. Paul's School in Covington, was the winner of the American Legion District 6 oratorical competition held recently in Springfield. He represented Robert H. Burns American Legion Post 16 of Covington. Ellers is captain of the St. Paul's swim team and is a member of the Lasallian Youth Leaders, Marian Players and the National Honor Society.
HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY: Free classes for people 16 and older seeking to earn a high school equivalency diploma are being offered by Northshore Technical Community College in Slidell, Lacombe, Hammond, Greensburg, Bogalusa and Franklinton. Day and evening classes are available. In St. Tammany Parish, intake and placement testing will be May 9; orientation will be May 11. For information and to register, visit northshorecollege.edu/workreadyu.