Anthony Barton Fortune, 57, owner of a Mandeville snowball stand, pleaded guilty as charged Monday to paying four teenage girls money and drugs for sexual favors. District Judge Peter Garcia sentenced him to a total of 15 years in prison.
Fortune pleaded guilty and received concurrent sentences for crimes including:
• Purchase of Commercial Sexual Activity of persons under 18, five counts, 15 years each
• Production of Pornography, 10 years
• Sexual Battery, 10 years
• Indecent behavior with a juvenile, six counts, 7 years each
• Distributing Xanax to persons under 18, two counts, 7.5 years each
• Distributing marijuana to persons under 18, two counts, 7.5 years each
The crimes came to light when Mandeville police received a report that the snowball stand owner was paying teenage girls for sexual activities. Police later found about 40 photos of the girls posing nude and performing sex acts in the defendant’s apartment, which is connected to the back of the snowball stand.
Two of the victims were 14 years old, one was 15, and another was 16 at the time of the crimes.
The victims told police Fortune gave them marijuana and Xanax and that he paid them each a total of between $1,400 and $2,000. Police found marijuana and a grinder inside Fortune’s apartment.
The victims supported the resolution of the case.