UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: Students from St. Tammany Parish who received master's degrees during University of Southern Mississippi commencement exercises May 12 and 13 were Sarah Elizabeth Aucoin, of Slidell, library and information science; and Caroline Acquistapace De Brock, master of science. Local students receiving bachelor's degrees were:
- Amanda M. Achary, Madisonville
- Amy Elizabeth Bavido, Mandeville
- Macie Myers Breaux, Covington
- Jonathan Michael Damare, Covington
- Brianna Anais Davis, Slidell
- Brandon Thomas Foto, Mandeville
- Krista Lauren Girod, Mandeville
- Shanickwa LaQuanta Jackson, Mandeville
- Victoria Lynn Johnson, Pearl River
- Somer K. Jones, Mandeville
- Brooke Nicole Kuhn, Covington
- Lora Shanice Lavigne, Slidell
- Casey L. Ormerod, Slidell
- Alexandria Vorhoff Ranshaw, Madisonville
- Jessica Elaine Ringo, Mandeville
- Courtney Elizabeth Stephens, Slidell
- Jonathan Carter Swalley, Slidell
- Lindsey Hannah Thomas, Slidell
- Skye Rhiannon Travis, Covington
- Taylor Christine Wager, Covington
- Joshua Shane Wilkerson, Madisonville.
LOYOLA IGNATIAN AWARDS: Michael Pashkevich '17, a native of Mandeville, is one of three recipients of 2017 Ignatian Awards from Loyola University. The other recipients are Kathryn O'Leary '17, from Weymouth, Mass.; and graduate student Jennifer Chamberlain, from Kingston, Mass. Pashkevich graduated May 13 with a bachelor's degree in biology and a double minor in medieval studies and chemistry. This spring, he received a coveted offer for a 2017-18 Fulbright U.S. Student Research Award and accepted the Gates Cambridge Award, which will fund his graduate studies at the University of Cambridge. The winner of the Spirit of Ignatius Award for the College of Law was to be announced at the law school Mass. Ignatian Award winners have maintained a distinguished grade-point average, lived a strong faith commitment, demonstrated examples of service for and with others, and shown a high regard for Ignatian, Jesuit values.
SLU NURSING AND HEALTH SCIENCES: Three students from St. Tammany Parish were recognized during the awards convocation of the College of Nursing and Health Sciences at Southeastern Louisiana University. They are:
- Sandra Barrios, of Covington, Health Systems Management Outstanding Student Award
- Mary Tracey, of Covington, Outstanding Graduate in Health and Physical Education.
- Sarah Taravella, of Mandeville, Pyburn Award for the Outstanding Senior in Family and Consumer Sciences.
LEADERSHIP LSU: At Louisiana State University, 46 students have completed the Leadership LSU program, a series of group discussions and extracurricular lecture focusing on the concepts of adaptive leadership. Adaptive leaders engage others and build their own capacity to address complex social issues from within communities, rather than simply solve issues for others. Members of the Leadership LSU Class of 2017 from St. Tammany Parish are:
- Jessica Black, of Slidell, a mass communication senior concentrated in digital advertising
- Ari’yana Gibson, of Slidell, an English major concentrated in secondary education
- Lauren Guillot, of Mandeville, a mass communication senior concentrated in political communication
- Brett Houser, of Slidell, a mass communication senior concentrated in political communication
- Marissa Maynard, of Lacombe, an industrial engineering senior
- Zachary Williams, of Mandeville, a senior double majoring in psychology and sociology.
LSU ACCOUNTING: More than 40 students were presented with scholarships in recognition of their academic accomplishments at the awards banquet of the department of accounting at Louisiana State University. The following students from St. Tammany Parish received scholarships at the banquet:
- Philippe Mereaux, of Covington, $750 LCPA Education Foundation undergraduate scholarship
- Hailey Osbon, of Covington, $1,000 Ernst & Young scholarship
- Christian Caragliano, of Covington, $1,000 Hannis T. Bourgeois LLP tax scholarship
- Timothy Barkley, of Slidell, $400 Lonnie H. Bearry scholarship.
STEVENSON UNIVERSITY: Paige Worthy of Madisonville, a psychology major at Stevenson University near Baltimore, Maryland, has been inducted into the Who's Who Among Students for the 2016-17 school year.