The last man with an open case in connection with a fatal shooting on Frenchmen Street in 2014 received a 10-year sentence Tuesday under a deal with prosecutors.
Criminal District Court Judge Paul Bonin handed down the sentence after Howard Taylor Jr., 27, pleaded guilty to the amended charge of accessory after the fact to second-degree murder. He was originally charged with second-degree murder in 2014.
Taylor, who wore an orange jail jumpsuit, did not speak other than to admit his guilt.
The plea deal resolves a case that involved three defendants who were accused of roles in an early morning shooting on the crowded street in June 2014.
Authorities said that Taylor and another man, Vernon Clay, were in an SUV as Dominique Jenkins opened fire on a group of men walking on the street. Police said the shooting was preceded by an argument at a music club between two groups of men. Julius Dunn, 21, was killed.
Clay pleaded guilty to serving as an accessory after the fact and received a 10-year sentence in July.
Jenkins went to trial in September. His attorney argued that the state's sole eyewitness was too far away from the shooter to identify him. However, a jury found him guilty of manslaughter. He was sentenced to 38 years in prison last month.
Jenkins maintains his innocence.
In a dramatic about-face, the key witness against a man accused of shooting into a crowd on …