A 50-year-old man suspected in two separate rape cases dating back nearly two decades was charged by an Orleans Parish grand jury on Thursday.
Isaac Fields was charged with two counts each of aggravated rape and aggravated kidnapping stemming from incidents reported in 1999 and 2001. The indictments follow his arrest on Dec. 14, when a DNA sample of his stored in the federal CODIS system linked him to the alleged crimes.
According to a statement from Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro’s office, Fields is charged in connection with the September 1999 robbery and rape of a 19-year-old woman in Uptown. In that incident, police allege, the woman was getting off a streetcar in the Carrollton area when Fields allegedly took her into an alley in the 8000 block of Willow street, robbed and raped her.
In the second incident, police say Fields assaulted a 28-year-old woman in Mid-City on Jan. 7, 2001. The woman told police she was grabbed from behind by a man who told her he had a gun while she searched for her cat in the 4000 block of Ulloa Street. The woman was then taken into an alleyway where she was raped, police said.
Fields, who also spells his name Issac Fields, has a lengthy rap sheet dating back to the early 1990s, court records show. According to the statement from Cannizzaro’s office, authorities suspect Fields “victimized” at least 18 women in the city of New Orleans between 1996 and 2003, through robberies, sexual assaults, or in some cases, both.
Police nicknamed Fields the “Ring Robber,” after suspecting him in several violent jewelry robberies, where women were followed and robbed of their “large and expensive” rings, mostly in the Uptown, Irish Channel and Lakeview neighborhoods. Fields was found not guilty of robbery charges by three separate New Orleans juries – in 1999, 2000, and 2005. Prosecutors refused to try cases involving several other arrests – including armed robbery and drug counts.
After Fields’ indictment was delivered Thursday, Criminal District Judge Keva Landrum-Johnson set Fields’ bond to $4 million, or, $1 million per count.
The same grand jury delivered these additional indictments Thursday:
• Jabari E. Williams, 26, was charged with one count of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Ian Taylor, 38, and on one count of obstruction of justice. Williams was arrested in the fatal shooting of his cousin, Taylor, a former Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office sergeant, during a dispute in Gentilly on Nov. 4, 2017.
Police responding to reports of shots fired found Taylor, who had been shot multiple times, inside a home in the 4900 block of Lafaye Street. Williams was arrested in connection with the killing the following day, and has remained jailed. On Thursday, Landrum-Johnson set Williams’ bond at $1.25 million.
• The grand jury also charged Ricky Hoofkin, 53, with one count of first-degree rape, one count of second-degree rape, and two counts each of sexual battery of a juvenile and indecent behavior with a juvenile.
Prosecutors allege Hookfin is responsible for multiple sex crimes against a girl, who was allegedly assaulted from the ages of 9 to 15.
The indictment charges Hookfin with the first-degree rape of the girl between Nov. 26, 2000 and Nov. 25, 2004. Hookfin was also charged with sexual battery of a juvenile, indecent behavior with a juvenile and second-degree rape of the same victim from Nov. 26, 2000 to Nov. 25, 2007.
The indictment also charges Hookfin with one count each of indecent behavior with a juvenile and sexual battery of a juvenile in connection with the alleged assault of a 3-year-old boy on June 20, 2017.
Hookfin remained at large Thursday when the indictment was read and Landrum-Johnson set his total bond at $3 million.