A 41-year-old man was found shot to death in the Gert Town neighborhood early Tuesday morning, New Orleans police said.
Police said the resident of a home in the 3400 block of Pine Street arrived to find the victim, identified as Donnel Coleman, in her alleyway about 3:30 a.m. after he had been shot multiple times. She called authorities, who pronounced Coleman dead at the scene.
Officials did not discuss a possible motive in the slaying.
In other matters handled recently by local law enforcement:
• New Orleans police on Monday morning arrested Oscar Tureaud, 50, on allegations that he used a gun to beat a 49-year-old man who refused to give him money in the 3600 block of Trafalgar in the neighborhood near the Fair Grounds. Police said Tureau fled from the attack on a bicycle and then tried to flee when officers arrived in the area before he was captured.
• New Orleans police also investigated two carjackings, a robbery and an attempted robbery on Monday.
The carjackings occurred about 12:50 p.m. and 7:15 p.m..
The first was at the corner of Hammond Street and Charlene Drive in New Orleans East, when a 65-year-old man was robbed of his car at gunpoint by a man who may have been accompanied by someone in a gold-colored, four-door sedan.
The second was in the 300 block of South White Street in Mid-City, when a 31-year-old man who was taking belongings out of his car was robbed at gunpoint by another man who approached him from behind.
The robbery occurred about 11 a.m. in the 6400 block of Gen. Meyer Avenue in Algiers, when a 29-year-old woman had her purse snatched off her shoulder by her boyfriend during an argument.
The attempted armed robbery occurred about 2:20 p.m. in the 3900 block of Washington Avenue in Broadmoor. Police said a knife-wielding man demanded money from a 63-year-old man and a 58-year-old woman who were near a stopped car, but the would-be robber fled when the woman screamed.
• About 6:40 p.m. Monday, it was reported to police in the 4700 block of Nottingham Drive in New Orleans East that an unidentified child was sexually assaulted by a known boy.
• Charles Washington, 29, is wanted on allegations that he fired gunshots at a woman with whom he was arguing the night of Feb. 22 in the 7800 block of Symmes Avenue in New Orleans East, police said Monday. A bullet hit an occupied home during the incident, according to police, who noted Washington fled the scene in a black 2000 Lexus SUV with a Louisiana license plate reading 558BYO.
• Two people were cut in the 1800 block of Lapalco Boulevard in Harvey about 5 a.m. Tuesday, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said. The injuries weren't life-threatening, according to the Sheriff's Office.
• New Orleans police said they booked Dejuan Brooks on Sunday on allegations of aggravated battery, threatening with a firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon, tampering, and a probation violation. The incident Brooks was booked on occurred Feb. 28 in the 2400 block of Amelia Street in the Milan neighborhood, police said.
• Dan Pittman Jr., 41, received a 13-year prison sentence Tuesday after being convicted Feb. 5 on 10 counts of pornography depicting children younger than 13, Orleans Parish District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro's office said. Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Arthur K. Hunter handed the sentence down against Pittman, and he also found him guilty at the end of a one-day judge trial.
Pittman faced 10 to 40 years on each count, and he was prosecuted by Assistant District Attorneys Tiffany Tucker and Alexis Taylor.
Staff writers Ashley White and Ramon Antonio Vargas compiled this report.