A man who barricaded himself inside a New Orleans East apartment was arrested on Tuesday morning after he surrendered, police said.
New Orleans police spokesman Gary Scheets said that officers in the 6700 block of Bundy Road on Tuesday morning "observed signs of domestic violence" and heard a woman and children screaming inside an apartment. One officer looked in through a window and saw children inside. When officers knocked on the door, the lights in the apartment turned off, and the people inside were quiet, Scheets said.
A SWAT unit was deployed to the scene, and the 31-year-old man “surrendered peacefully,” Scheets said.
A woman and four children were inside the apartment when the SWAT team arrived.
In other cases recently handled by local authorities:
• New Orleans police on Tuesday identified three people suspected of robbing a Verizon store on Nov. 30 in the 400 block of North Carrollton Avenue in Mid-City. Antoine Reed, 27; Evan McMillan, 27; and India Cushenberry, 20, are all wanted on suspicion of first-degree robbery, police said. Police asked anyone with information about their whereabouts to call them at 504-658-6030.
• Roshanique Evans, 25, was booked on allegations that she stabbed a 32-year-old man during a 9:50 a.m. domestic dispute in the 3200 block of Milan Street in Broadmoor on Monday, New Orleans police said. Paramedics treated the man at the scene.
• New Orleans police responded to at least two armed robberies on Monday. The first was reported about 4:50 p.m. in the 12100 block of North Interstate 10 Service Road in New Orleans East, when a 21-year-old told police that she was robbed Saturday at gunpoint alongside her 2-year-old child after an unknown man approached her. The unknown man put a gun against her head, demanded property and took cash, police said.
In the other robbery, a 20-year-old man walking near the corner of North Dorgenois and Bell streets in the 7th Ward was robbed at gunpoint by another man who waved the victim over and made him lie on the ground, New Orleans police said. The robber and another unknown man fled the scene in a pickup, police said.
• At least four rapes were reported to New Orleans police on Monday. The first, reported about 11:55 a.m. in the 3100 block of Urquhart Street in the St. Claude area, involved children ages 11 and 13 reporting that a man they knew sexually assaulted them more than a year ago.
About 4:20 p.m. in the 1800 block of North Roman Street in the 7th Ward, three underage boys reported being sexually assaulted by another boy they knew, police said.
About 8 p.m. in the 5600 block of Pratt Drive in Gentilly, an underage girl reported she was raped by a boy she knew, police said.
About 8:50 p.m. at the corner of Kerlerec and North Johnson streets in the 7th Ward, a 40-year-old woman reported to police that she was sexually assaulted by an unknown man.
• Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Rouse's office on Tuesday identified the man found shot to death a day earlier in the 4900 block of Major Drive in New Orleans East as 22-year-old Taibe Coleman. Coleman's death caused a strong reaction on social media, where people remembered his time as a wrestler at East Ascension High School in Gonzales and at Arkansas Baptist College, among other things.
Coleman was also included in a list of Sarah T. Reed High School graduates in 2013. Police have not announced any suspects or a possible motive in Coleman's slaying.
• New Orleans police on Tuesday released a surveillance camera image of a man suspected of robbing an AutoZone store in the 600 block of North Broad Street in the Bayou St. John neighborhood at gunpoint on Nov. 21.
Staff writer Ramon Antonio Vargas contributed to this report.