More than two dozen people were brought to local hospitals in the wake of a tornado that caused extensive damage in New Orleans East on Tuesday.
A spokeswoman for New Orleans East Hospital confirmed that as of 2:45 p.m., eight adults and three children had been brought seeking treatment for injuries related to the sudden storm.
Two adults were brought for eye injuries, one for a head injury, one for a hand injury and one for chest pain, Geriease Smith Hawkins, the vice president of Media and Creative Services for the hospital confirmed in an email.
One adult was also treated for anxiety, one treated for back and hand injuries and another adult was treated for an "unidentified injury," Hawkins said.
According to Hawkins, three children were also brought to New Orleans East Hospital. She said they all had minor injuries and were in stable condition.
A spokeswoman for University Medical Center said the hospital had so far received six people with tornado-related injuries.
Spokeswoman Siona Lafrance said she couldn't release details about the nature or extent of the injuries, but said she had "not received any indication" that any of the people brought in were children.
Kim Keene, the interim chief executive officer for St. Bernard Parish Hospital, said that by mid-afternoon Tuesday four people had arrived to be treated for tornado-related injuries. They were all in stable condition, she said, adding that it was the hospital's policy not to release additional information about any patient's medical status.
As of Tuesday afternoon, no patients had been brought to either Touro Infirmary or Children's Hospital New Orleans, according to spokeswomen for both hospitals. Representatives from Ochsner Health System and Tulane Medical Center did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu said Tuesday afternoon that two people were seriously injured when the tornado touched down, and dozens more had minor injuries from debris.
Surrounded by law enforcement and emergency response agencies, he also urged residents to avoid the east entirely. Landrieu cited several gas leaks in the area and large numbers of first responders attempting to search for victims and assess the damage.
"Please do not try to come to New Orleans East," Landrieu said. "It is totally shut down."