Update, 9:15 p.m.: New Orleans jail records confirmed that the man arrested by police who surrounded a home in Gentilly Terrace on Wednesday afternoon was Keaun Jones, 18. 

An Orleans Parish grand jury last month indicted Jones and two co-defendants on a count of second-degree murder in the June 13 shooting death of 18-year-old Damian Crockem Jr. in New Orleans East. Jones skipped his arraignment in the case last week; his two co-defendants had been jailed prior to Wednesday. 

Original story

Police responding to a report of a stolen car in Gentilly Terrace on Wednesday afternoon ended up arresting a suspect in a New Orleans East slaying from the summer, authorities said. 

The situation started about 4 p.m. in the 2600 block of Lavender Street, police spokesman Gary Scheets said.

Several people ran toward a home when officers arrived to investigate a stolen car report, and police soon learned one of them was wanted in connection with a killing reported in the 9300 block of Chef Menteur Highway, Scheets said. 

Scheets said he couldn't immediately provide specifics about the slaying and couldn't confirm the suspect's name.

However, on June 13, gunfire in the 9300 block of Chef Menteur left 18-year-old Damian Crockem Jr. dead and a woman wounded. 

Orleans Parish prosecutors have charged three suspects in Crockem's killing. 

One of them, 18-year-old Keaun Jones, failed to appear for his arraignment Friday, and Orleans Parish Criminal District Court Judge Karen Herman issued a no-bail warrant for his arrest on counts of murder and conspiracy. 

Elliot M. Peters, 18, and Malaiah Marcelin, 19, had been jailed prior to Wednesday on counts of second-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. 

Marcelin's bail is $1.5 million. Peters' bail is higher at $2 million because he and Jones are also facing a count of obstructing justice by either tampering with or removing evidence in the case. 

Police called out members of the Special Operations Division — commonly referred to as the SWAT team — after the people ran toward the Gentilly Terrace home Wednesday. 

It appeared that at least some of the group initially surrendered when confronted by police. But officers were unsure whether someone had barricaded himself inside the house, so the SWAT team was called in to search the home and clear it. 

Police set up a perimeter around the area to assist that effort, affecting traffic on Franklin. But it appeared the situation had been resolved by about 5:30 p.m., when officers allowed people on Lavender to access their homes. 

Advocate staffer Matthew Hinton contributed to this report. 

Follow Ramon Antonio Vargas on Twitter, @RVargasAdvocate.

(504) 636-7433