A 2-year-old girl accidentally poured frying grease on herself Friday night in Gretna, burning her from head to toe and sending her to a center in Shreveport specializing in severe burn injuries, according to officials.

Officials said the unidentified girl's uncle was frying food in a pan on the stove of a home in the 1400 block of Newton Street when she grabbed the handle of the pan and poured the grease all over herself. The uncle tried to prevent the accident by catching the pan and was burnt himself, officials said.

Paramedics took the injured girl to West Jefferson Medical Center in Marrero, where she was treated, sedated and listed in stable condition. She was then transferred to burn treatment units in Baton Rouge and Shreveport, officials said.

Follow Ramon Antonio Vargas on Twitter, @RVargasAdvocate.

(504) 636-7433