New Orleans police are seeking two possible witnesses in the hit-and-run death of a French Quarter tourist on New Year’s Day 2016.
Police on Monday released photos of two people captured on surveillance video walking in the 800 block of Chartres Street on Jan. 1, 2016. Around 3 a.m., Joshua Woodruff, 28, was at the intersection of Dumaine and Decatur streets when he was struck by a vehicle and dragged over the Crescent City Connection before his body was left on the West Bank.
Police believe the two people in the surveillance images might have seen the vehicle as it drove past them on Chartres Street. They are “being sought for informational purposes only,” the New Orleans Police Department said in a news release.
Last month, police released images of the vehicle that is believed to have hit Woodruff, a Nebraska native and Harvard University graduate who was visiting New Orleans with friends for New Year’s. They also announced that a homicide detective is now leading the investigation.
Nearly two years after a tourist from California was hit by a car in the French Quarter and dragged to his death on the Crescent City Connecti…
Anyone with information on the identities of the two people or in the hit-and-run is asked to contact NOPD homicide detective Rob Barrere at 504-658-5300 or Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111.
In other matters recently handled by local law enforcement officials:
• New Orleans police on Monday said they arrested a man in Houston suspected in a deadly Oct. 21 double shooting in the 2900 block of Oliver White Avenue in the Desire neighborhood.
Terrance Crawford, 25, faces count of second-degree murder and attempted second-degree murder. He also faces counts of armed robbery, aggravated battery, theft and felon in possession of a firearm following a stick-up reported in the 6000 block of Burgundy Street in September, police said.
Police said they suspect Crawford had a hand in the killing of Anthony Adams, 34, and the wounding of another man. They tracked him to Houston and arrested him with the help of the U.S. Marshals, police said.
• New Orleans police on Monday arrested a man suspected of participating in a shooting in the 2000 block of North Rocheblave Street in the 7th Ward on Wednesday that was captured on surveillance video. The suspect is Telly Cook, 18, and he surrendered to police shortly after they circulated a picture of his face to the local news media. The victim in the case was shot in the thigh, police said.
• One man went to the hospital Sunday to receive treatment for smoke inhalation Sunday following a 5:15 p.m. microwave fire at a unit in the Elysian Courtyard Apartments in the 3000 block of Gentilly Boulevard, the New Orleans Fire Department said. The fire was out when firefighters arrived, and paramedics took the man — who was alone — to the hospital, the Fire Department said.
• Jessica Moody, 36, was arrested on allegations that she cut a 31-year-old man with whom she was arguing while he packed his belongings in the 7800 block of Venice Boulevard in Little Woods about 11:15 a.m. Sunday, New Orleans police said.
• New Orleans police said they investigated at least two robberies Sunday, one of which involved a scooter being carjacking during a drug deal.
In the first robbery, about 7:10 p.m. in the 3500 block of Audubon Street in Gert Town, a 33-year-old man was sitting in his car when one of two men who came up to him pointed a gun at him and demanded his wallet and cellphone, police said. The victim surrendered his belongings, and the robbers fled, police said.
The carjacking of the scooter was about 10:45 p.m. in the 1500 block of North Villere Street in the Marigny, where a 57-year-old man and two women went to buy drugs, police said. The man and two other men got into a fight, and the victim's scooter was stolen along with other property when he was knocked to the ground, police said.
• A Harvey man agreed to a 3-year state prison sentence Monday, pleading guilty to a pair of felony charges from a vehicle crash in New Orleans East last year that killed his young female passenger.
Eduardo Sartor, 28, pleaded guilty as charged to vehicular homicide and third-offense driving while intoxicated, under an agreement in which Orleans Parish Criminal District Judge Laurie White sentenced him to the minimum five-year prison term, suspending two years of that sentence.
Sartor was behind the wheel of a 2010 Nissan Altima, driving eastbound on Interstate 10 about 3 a.m. on Jan. 24, 2016, when he rear-ended another vehicle near the Irish Bayou exit. The Altima burst into flames and passers-by pulled Sartor and his occupant, 21-year-old Mary Birmingham of Slidell, out of the car.
Birmingham was severely injured and pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Toxicology tests showed Sartor, who had two prior DWI convictions on his record, had a blood-alcohol content of .08 percent — the legal threshold for a drunk driving charge — at the time of the crash.
White handed Sartor a one-year sentence on the DWI charge, to run concurrently with the three-year term for vehicular homicide, which carries a maximum sentence of 30 years.
White also ordered Sartor to pay a $2,000 fine. She set a Jan. 5 date to formally sentence Sartor on the two charges.
Birmingham's parents endorsed the prison sentence for Sartor.
• New Orleans police on Monday released a surveillance camera image of a man suspected of robbing a grocery in the 3100 block of Banks Street at gunpoint on Saturday.