After surrendering to police Wednesday, the 56-year-old suspect in Saturday's deadly double stabbing at the McDonald's restaurant in the 700 block of Canal Street told a detective that he plunged a knife into the victims "indiscriminately," new court records allege.
Danny Jackson made his initial court appearance Thursday after being booked on one count of second-degree murder in the slaying of Tavis Robertson, 18. His bail was set at $250,000, and he remained in custody on Thursday night.
Police have said Robertson was killed after he and another unidentified man had gotten into some kind of altercation with their attacker in the bathroom of restaurant about 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
Officers found Robertson inside the restaurant with stab wounds to his chest and face, and he died after being taken to a hospital for treatment. The other victim had multiple stab wounds and was found at the nearby corner of Canal and Dauphine streets.
Police later released what they described as clear surveillance images of Robertson's suspected killer fleeing the scene. On Wednesday, detectives wrote in court documents, Jackson called police and said he wanted to confess to the double stabbing.
After being read his rights, police allege, Jackson said he pulled out a knife from his side pocket and "began to stab at the young men indiscriminately." He then fled, cleaned himself off, and threw both shirt and knife away, police allege.
Jackson faces mandatory life imprisonment if he is eventually convicted of murder.
Court records show this week is not the first time Jackson has been in legal trouble. He had been sentenced in 2002 to 15 years in prison as a habitual offender following a guilty plea in a purse snatching case.
New Orleans police on Wednesday said they jailed the man they believe stabbed two people at …