Update, 1:45 p.m.

New Orleans police on Tuesday afternoon said they have obtained warrants to arrest the final two suspects in a brutal French Quarter beating and robbery of a pair of Boston-area tourists.

The remaining two suspects are Rashaad Piper, 20, and Nicholas Polgowski, 18.

At a news conference on Tuesday, New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison urged both suspects to surrender. The other two suspects in the case — 21-year-old Dejuan Paul and Joshua Simmons, 18 — had surrendered by early Tuesday. 

Tim Byrne, the victim who was left in critical condition after the robbery, is now off a ventilator and breathing on his own after suffering an acute brain injury, Harrison said.

Police do not believe the beating and robbery are related to other similar incidents in the area. 

At the time the robbery in question occurred, Paul, Simmons and Polgowski were residing at the Covenant House troubled youth shelter, which is on the edge of the French Quarter. Paul and Piper are seen beginning the attack on Byrne and his co-worker, James Curran, with Polgowski and Simmons joining up later. 

Original story

After seeing himself on surveillance video participating in the brutal beating and robbery of two Boston-area tourists in the French Quarter, 21-year-old Dejuan Paul reached out to a church pastor on Monday for help working out his surrender.

That pastor from the Desire neighborhood then turned Paul over to the police, who booked him for second-degree robbery in the savage attack. The beating sent Tim Byrne and James Curran, both IT specialists for the Unitarian Universalist Association, to the hospital Saturday night, court records show. 

Police early Tuesday jailed a second suspect in the case: 18-year-old Joshua Simmons, who turned himself into the staff at troubled youth shelter Covenant House after seeing video of the robbery on the news. They are searching for at least two more suspects, though their names haven't been released. 

Judge Harry Cantrell ordered the men held without bond until a hearing scheduled for Friday. 

Both Paul and Simmons lived at Covenant House at the time of Saturday's robbery, as did one more unidentified youth involved in the attack, officials have said. All three abruptly left Covenant House after the incident. 

On Tuesday, the shelter's director, James Kelly, issued a statement reading, "Covenant House cares for runaway and homeless youth — many of whom are troubled and suffer from mental illness. We are deeply saddened by the incident and are praying for the victims and their families."

Paul and Simmons appeared in orange jumpsuits and shackles for their initial court appearances on Tuesday. Paul was seen hanging his head and leaning over with his eyes closed for long stretches of time while awaiting his turn. 

Paul is also accused of having imitation drugs in one of his pants pockets when he was searched by police on Monday and was booked with a warrant out of Texas that apparently accuses him of choking someone, jail records show. 

Simmons has one prior arrest for allegedly trying to break into two cars in Gretna last year while accompanied by a 14-year-old. Prosecutors did not pursue those charges. 

Police on Monday described Paul as "the main attacker," seen on video punching Byrne in the back of the head. Byrne fell face-forward and did not get back up on his own after Paul and three others robbed him and Curran of their wallets and cell phones, police have said. 

Meanwhile, Byrne remained hospitalized and "close to death" with a "serious brain injury," prosecutors Michael Henn and Edward McAuliffe said Tuesday. The prosecutors said that Paul, Simmons and the rest would be facing counts of capital murder if Byrne died. 

A statement from Byrne's employer late Monday was less grim than what prosecutors described Tuesday. The Unitarian Universalist Association said that Byrne was in critical yet stable condition and that he was making "small but important improvements."

Curran was back in Boston on Monday, his association said. Police released footage of the attack late Sunday, provoking an intense reaction in violence-weary New Orleans and beyond. 

Check back with The New Orleans Advocate for any more details later.

WWL-TV contributed to this report  

Follow Ramon Antonio Vargas on Twitter, @RVargasAdvocate.

(504) 636-7433