NO.stateofcity.070717.005.JPG

Mayor Mitch Landrieu gives his annual State of the City Address for his final year in office at Civic Theater in New Orleans, Thursday, July 6, 2017.

Advocate Staff photo by SOPHIA GERMER

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu said in an interview on Monday that he does not intend to run for president in 2020 and that it is in “everybody's best interest” for President Donald Trump to succeed, rather than speculating on the next presidential race.

“The answer to that question is I’m not running for president,” Landrieu told David Axelrod, a CNN senior political commentator, on “The Axe Files” podcast. “You’d never rule out running (for) anything, you never say never about anything, but I’m not running.”

Landrieu, a Democrat who has recently been in the national spotlight for New Orleans’ removal of four Jim Crow-era monuments, said that it's too early to look ahead to the next presidential race and that it would be better for Americans to give Trump a chance.

“President Trump has only been in office for six months,” Landrieu said in the interview with Axelrod. “It’s in everybody’s best interest for him to succeed and for him to do well. Starting a presidential race for anybody at this time under any circumstances is ill-advised.”

Can't see video below? Click here

 

The mayor has seen his national profile rise thanks to his widely lauded speech on the removal of the Confederate monuments and his inauguration to head the U.S. Conference of Mayors. He cannot run for re-election due to term limits.

Landrieu has previously said that he would not run for president in 2020 and that taking down the monuments was only part of what’s needed to address race in the city and country.

Read the full CNN article and listen to the entire podcast here