City Councilman Jason Williams’ brief flirtation with a gubernatorial run is over.
Williams said in an email Thursday he is not running and is “100 percent focused on this city and committed to addressing the host of problems plaguing New Orleans.”
Earlier this month, Williams said he was toying with the idea of getting into the race after being contacted by people concerned that those already declared were ignoring important topics like mental healthcare, the environment and education.
He repeated that criticism on Thursday, saying people are “downright fearful” that the current gubernatorial field is “getting a pass.”
“We are emerging from a troubling eight years, where our current governor slashed everything important to our growth. We cannot afford more of the same,” said Williams, who is also frequently mentioned as a possible candidate to succeed Mayor Mitch Landrieu when he leaves office because of term limits in 2018. “I believe that my efforts are best spent fighting for our city, in our city. We must hold this group of candidates accountable to address the real issues and take them to task if they choose to ignore this city, its relevance to the state, and the values of its people.”
The gubernatorial field includes three Republicans, U.S. Sen. David Vitter, Lt. Gov. Jay Dardenne and Public Service Commissioner Scott Angelle, along with Democratic state Rep. John Bel Edwards. The primary is Oct. 24 and a run-off, if necessary, will be held Nov. 21.
Follow Jeff Adelson on Twitter, @jadelson.