MINNEAPOLIS — Pete Rose may have a role to play in next year’s All-Star game in Cincinnati despite his lifetime ban from baseball.

The career hits leader generally is not allowed in any areas of major league ballparks not open to fans. But the former Reds star was allowed to participate in baseball’s All-Century team ceremony at Atlanta’s Turner Field during the 1999 World Series and was permitted to be on the field at Great American Ballpark in 2010 for a ceremony commemorating the 25th anniversary of his record-setting 4,192nd hit.

He also was on the field in Cincinnati last September for the unveiling of a bronze sculpture honoring Hall of Fame teammate Joe Morgan.

The Reds host the 2015 All-Star game on July 14, and Commissioner Bud Selig left open the possibility Rose could play a part.

“That will be up to the Cincinnati club, and they know what they can do and can’t do,” Selig told the Baseball Writers’ Association of America on Tuesday. “It’s sort of been subjective. But they’ve done some things with Pete, but they’ve been very, very thoughtful and limited. But that’s a subject that I’m sure they’ll discuss in the next year.”

Rose, who famously bowled over catcher Ray Fosse to win the 1970 All-Star game at Cincinnati’s Riverfront Stadium, agreed to the lifetime ban in August 1989 following an investigation by Major League Baseball that concluded he bet on the Reds to win while managing the team. He applied for reinstatement in September 1997 and met with Selig in November 2002.

Selig, who plans to retire in January, has never ruled on Rose’s application.

“It’s under advisement. My standard line,” Selig said. “I’m the judge and that’s where it will stay. Nothing new in that statement, I understand.”

Now 73, Rose admitted in a 2004 autobiography that his previous gambling denials were false.

Last month, he managed the Bridgeport Bluefish for one game in the independent Atlantic League.

SELIG SAYS MLB DIDN’T KNOW A-ROD HAD DRUG EXEMPTION: Selig maintains Major League Baseball had no idea Alex Rodriguez received a medical exemption from the sport’s drug administrator to use a testosterone-boosting substance in 2007.

Rodriguez received a therapeutic use exemption for the otherwise-banned substance clomid, according to the book “Blood Sport: Alex Rodriguez, Biogenesis and the Quest to End Baseball’s Steroid Era,” which was published last week.

Clomid is prescribed for ovulation induction and has been used by men to restore the production of testosterone following a steroids cycle. The book said the exemption was granted by Bryan W. Smith, then the independent administrator of baseball’s drug program.

Selig said Tuesday before the All-Star game that MLB didn’t know about the decision.

Rodriguez admitted in 2009 that he used a banned performance-enhancing substance while with the Texas Rangers from 2001-03. The New York Yankees third baseman is serving a season-long ban this year after an MLB drug investigation.

SELIG CAN SEE MONTREAL BID TO RETURN TO MAJORS: Selig also said he can envision Montreal making a bid to return to the major leagues.

The Expos joined the National League for the 1969 season and remained in the big leagues through 2004 before moving to Washington and becoming the Nationals.

While the Expos failed to draw 1 million spectators to Olympic Stadium in any of their final seven seasons, a total of 96,350 fans attended a pair of exhibition games there in March between the New York Mets and Toronto Blue Jays.

“I think they would be an excellent candidate in the future. No question about it. That was very impressive,” Selig said Tuesday during a question-and-answer session with the Baseball Writers’ Association of America.

“They have much work to be done,” he said. “There’s certainly in my case no hard or angry feeling toward Montreal. We tried to keep a team there. It’s a long story now. But I thought that was marvelous.”

MLB APPOINTS BEAN CONSULTANT FOR INCLUSION: Major League Baseball appointed former outfielder Billy Bean, who came out as gay after his playing career, to serve as a consultant in guiding the sport toward greater inclusion and equality.

Selig made the announcement Tuesday before the All-Star game.

Joining Bean and Selig at a news conference was Lutha Burke, the sister of Glenn Burke, who was the first MLB player to come out as gay after retiring. Burke died in 1995.

Bean will provide guidance and training related to efforts designed to support the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community throughout baseball. He’ll work with players and front office personnel through the major and minor leagues.

Bean played for Detroit, the Los Angeles Dodgers and San Diego over parts of six seasons and hit .226. He dedicated his autobiography to Burke.