Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
4. Foolish Return: A lot of positives going for her here — dropping and fastest.
8. Set the Bar: Has shown interest in both starts
4. Geraldneversleeps: Has the look of a horse who wants a route of ground.
1. Leestown Flash: Flashed ability going long over the summer at LAD.
7. One Man One Vote: How could I not pick this horse with the name.
4. Major Hope: Should be in the money at the finish — had some class at one point.
3. Unknown Road: Ran 2nd to a very nice next out winner in Coup de Grace — Dery horse?
2. Glacken Too: Has been sizzling in the morning workouts.
7. Muru Muru: Taking a shot with this lightly raced filly — definitely fits at long odds.
5. JJ’s Classic: Nice 3rd over course — gets a firmer race track today.
1. Hopeful Notion: Ran 2nd to Sunbean over this course last year.
7. Yonadixie: Found a bit of trouble in last and improves today without.
7. Istanford: I think this horse is legit — easy first out win — led most of way in stakes — back to turf and gets a pace setup to her liking — loads to like here.
1. Synapse: Will find a way to run second from the rail today.
6. Gator Zone: Gets blinkers on today — very strong angle for trainer Margolis.
8. Interest Free: Done little wrong in 3 race career might need one to find fitness.
11. Bad Asset: Blinkers off and goes first time for hot trainer Faucheaux.
4. Bayou Boy: Finds competition a bit easier today.
8. Whams Nite Out: Could upset at a price and usable in exactas with top 2.
AROUND THE TRACK
We are batting 25 percent with top selection and last week hit 9 out of 36 exactas with top two selections — not bad. The Best Bets are proving to be a money burner however as we are still looking for our second winner from 9 starts. For the season the stats read:
111-27-21-11 = 24 percent Win/53 percent In-the-money
9 -1-3-2 = 11 percent Win/67 percent In-the-money
In Race 6 Hopeful Notion has a lot of positives going for it today. A stakes placed horse at the track and running second to Sunbean — our La. Classic Winner and a terrific trainer coming back from a layoff. All point to a win. Let’s make a Daily Double with Hopeful Notion to Istanford in the 7th with Hopeful Notion our Best Bet today.