Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing
6. CINDYS REBEL: Drops to lowest level in career and has win over the track.
3. GET IN DA HOUSE: The winner of 600k also meeting easier today.
9. SAINT DOMINIC: Has a tightner over DeD course and drops to claimers.
6. SENIOR MARTY GRAW: Two competitive runs over the green in four starts.
4. TOUTSIE RULES: Very professional and impressive first out versus tough competition.
5. LOVELY MARIA: Nice filly has one horse to beat and that’s our top choice.
5. OTIS MY MAN: Showed promise early and last race duplication can win this one.
1. AZTEC BRAVE: Trainer is strong with horses after a claim and this one fits.
2. NOW YOU KNOW: Coming off a big win looks to be improving for trainer Cox.
1. CLUELESS RUSTY: Getting back into right level of competition will help chances.
8. LITTLE FACE: What a claim for 10k ... will try to go wire to wire ... short odds.
2. GIRL WANDO: A real value play in this spot — might not be able to best the top choice.
6. SYNAPSE: Has right running style to take this one from off the pace.
4. BRAZEN PERSUASION: Graded stakes winner has only run six times but won three.
9. FLOR DE LA LUNA: Believe this horse is very talented and will display today on turf.
5. ARABIAN QUEEB: Gets to try turf today and might improve leaps and bounds.
3. MYRNA ANNE: longshot player in here by super turf sire can upset at big odds.
11. COTEAU JOZI: Have to go with this wild horse who won in the most impressive way last year at this track.
7. ALIVIA’S LION: Loves this track and has right running style for today.
2. TEELFA: If the pace is hot, she will benefit with her closing kick
3. DREAM HYTE CLAYTON: Showed some signs of life in last at Delta — big odds are attractive.
12. STORMIN RED ROSE: Drops to lowest level ... showed speed going longer.
8. TAKEMETONEWORLEANS: Amoss charge fits with these.
AROUND THE TRACK
Bettors should pay attention to a couple of new faces in the trainer ranks this year. Brad Cox burned up the winner’s circle at Churchill Downs this fall and his horses always are well-meant, and he is very good when claiming a horse and running back for the first time. Joe Sharp is very familiar with the Fair Grounds as he has led the Mike Maker string here for the past few years. But now he’s on his own and has had some strong early success. Both trainers should win races with limited starts this meet.
BEST BET LONGSHOT
The Best Bet today is Race 9 — No. 9, Flor de la Luna. I watched this one’s last race and my thought was route race on the turf — and that is what we have today. Won’t be much of a price but I think this one has a bright future and gets the win today. Bet to win, but try her with exactas with the 3-5 underneath and savers on top. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.