Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
3. The Sandman: Short odds pick, but highly likely to win opening heat.
5. Shathoor: A half to My Miss Aurelia has been burning up track in the morning.
5. Channel Eleven: Will give the slight nod to this likely pacesetter in tough race.
1. Elusive Knoll: Likely to get a nice trip on the rail from James Graham.
1. Maybelle Slew: Could trip out right behind the early speed and waltz on by in stretch.
7. Lady Tamer: Won already at the meet and can repeat at nice odds.
3. Willy B Invited: Bet down to favorite in first race now gets turf for Amoss.
4. What A Image: Second time out is usually best time to bet Asmussen horses.
1. Growler: Likely short priced winner but a tepid choice here.
2. Call This Chick: Just beat a lot of these last week but unreliable.
2. Hawks Image: In form and proven on turf for under rated trainer.
3. Forest Elf: Loves to run in the money and is strong bet to do so here.
4. Mr Rockin West: With clean break looks to have this field over a barrel.
9. Promissing Times: Was in contention until tiring in last — fitter today.
13. Grand Isle: Most likely winner on the card, but will be low odds.
11. Man of Strife: Can pop at a price today — pay attention to the odds.
3. Undesided: Might get a good trip on or near the lead.
11. Soft Kitty: Good first try and will improve to win this easier spot.
7. Etta J: Showed good early speed in first spin over the track — fits with these.
1. Contrarian Bet: Gets the rail and has good tactical speed for second start at FG.
8. Wildwood Heir: Trainer claimed this one back — usually a positive sign.
Around the Track
It’s Election Day in Louisiana. Before you come out to the Gentilly oval today please exercise on of the rights that our veterans and soldiers have fought to protect — the right to vote. Regardless of whom you are voting for today, please go to the polls which are open at 6 a.m. and close at 8 p.m.
The Best Bet is in Race 6 today on the turf only. Let’s go with No. 2 Hawk’s Image whose trainer got his first Grade 1 win last week with recent Fair Grounds arrival La Tia. Good luck and may they all come home safely.