Dallas — Cowboys running back Joseph Randle has been arrested on a shoplifting charge, accused of taking $123 worth of cologne and underwear from a suburban Dallas department store and telling a police officer he thought to himself, “All right, y’all got me,” after a security guard stopped him.
Randle, who is charged with a Class B misdemeanor theft between $50 and $500, was detained Monday evening by store security and later taken to the Frisco city jail before posting bond early Tuesday, police Sgt. Brad Merritt said.
The arrest came a day after one of Randle’s best games since joining Dallas as a fifth-round draft pick out of Oklahoma State last season. He had a 38-yard run and a key tackle on a kickoff in a 30-23 victory at Super Bowl champion Seattle.
According to an arrest report, Randle was caught on video placing items later identified as a “tester” bottle of Gucci Guilty Black cologne and a two-pack of Polo underwear into a Dillard’s bag after making a purchase at the store at Stonebriar Centre, about 30 miles north of Dallas.
The 22-year-old Randle was stopped by a security guard in the parking lot and later told a police officer that when he saw the “old guy,” referring to the security guard, he thought to himself, “All right, y’all got me.”
After getting stopped by security, Randle returned to the store and the items were recovered. The cost of the items was $123.50 before sales tax. Randle is in the second year of a four-year, $2.3 million rookie contract with a base salary of $495,000 this season.
He finished with 52 yards rushing on five carries against the Seahawks and has 113 yards on 16 carries for the season as the backup to NFL rushing leader DeMarco Murray. Randle had 164 yards rushing and two touchdowns as a rookie last year.
The Cowboys did not respond to a request for comment.
City extends deal to try to obtain team: The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday gave developer AEG another six months to lure a professional football team to the nation’s second-largest city, which has lacked one for two decades.
Without discussion, the council extended AEG’s 2012 agreement to build a downtown stadium and convince an NFL team to move there. The original deal was set to expire on Saturday but the new deadline to obtain a team commitment is April.
AEG would then have until October of next year to finalize the deal.
AEG has had no luck getting a team to come but its chief legal and development officer, Ted Fikre, told a council committee last week that there has been “renewed dialogue” with the league.
In addition to receiving more time, AEG agreed to cover the $750,000 it would cost for a “Plan B.” If no new stadium is built, the money would pay the early design and study costs of expanding the existing Los Angeles Convention Center — next door to where the proposed Farmer’s Field stadium would stand.
Los Angeles hasn’t had an NFL franchise since losing the Rams and Raiders after the 1994 season.
However, Mayor Eric Garcetti told radio station KFWB-AM on Tuesday that the recent $2 billion sale of the Clippers basketball team showed the value of a Los Angeles franchise.
Garcetti said it is possible that someone at the NFL owners’ meeting next spring will decide to take their team to Los Angeles, and a football team worth perhaps $1 billion or less would be “smart to come.”
Garcetti has said that no public money will be used to build a downtown stadium, although ideas such as tax incentives have been floated in the past.
Downtown isn’t the only place where an NFL team could choose to settle.
Over the years, proposals have been floated for NFL stadiums in the Los Angeles suburbs of Carson, Irwindale and Industry, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, in a remodeled Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and near Dodger Stadium.
Cruz, McBride on IR; Ogletree signed: In East Rutherford, New Jersey, the Giants placed wide receiver Victor Cruz and cornerback Trumaine McBride on season-ending injured reserve. The Giants announced the moves late Tuesday, a day after the two veterans had surgery for injuries they suffered during Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles.
The team signed free agent receiver Kevin Ogletree and cornerback Chandler Fenner.
Ogletree spent his first four seasons with the Cowboys, whom the Giants play Sunday in Dallas. The six-year veteran played last season with Tampa Bay and Detroit; the Lions cut him on Sept. 20. Ogletree played in 62 regular-season games with four starts, and career totals include 78 receptions for 999 yards (12.8-yard average) and six touchdowns.
Fenner is on the roster for the second time this season. He was signed off the practice squad Oct. 4, and made his NFL debut on special teams the following day in the Giants’ victory over Atlanta. He was waived Oct. 6.
The Giants made moves on their practice squad as well, signing wide receiver Chris Harper, cornerback Victor Hampton and linebacker Carlos Fields and releasing wide receiver Travis Harvey. Cornerback Bennett Jackson (knee) has been placed on practice squad/injured.
Trevathan placed on IR, out until Dec. 14: The Denver Broncos on Tuesday placed linebacker Danny Trevathan on recallable injured reserve with a broken leg. The team’s top tackler from last year can’t practice until Nov. 26 and isn’t eligible to play in a game until Denver visits San Diego on Dec. 14.
Trevathan reinjured his left leg Sunday in his second game back from a broken bone under his kneecap. On Monday, coach John Fox said this latest injury was to the top and side of his knee.
Trevathan’s teammates were told Monday he’d be out six weeks, about the same timeline for his first injury. Now, it’ll be eight weeks.
Shelby reinstated: In Davie, Florida, suspended defensive lineman Derrick Shelby was reinstated Tuesday, returned to practice with the Miami Dolphins and said afterward he had messed up.
Shelby was suspended without pay last week after his arrest on misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and trespassing at a nightclub. Coach Joe Philbin said Shelby was reinstated after the Dolphins completed their investigation into the matter.
Shelby declined to talk about his legal case, but had no quarrel with the suspension.
“I messed up, and we have our rules here,” he said. “When you mess up, you know you mess up.”
Shelby said the hardest part regarding the episode had been the opinions expressed about him. “That stinks that people don’t know you, and then they say things about you,” he said. “You’ve just got to live with it. What are you going to do about it?”
In a statement, Shelby apologized to his teammates, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, coach Joe Philbin and the fans, saying he accepted responsibility for the distraction he caused and learned from his actions.
Shelby has pleaded not guilty to the charges. The third-year veteran played in the first four games as a reserve this season but missed Sunday’s loss to Green Bay.
“Derrick understood that he would be held accountable for his actions, as they did not represent our organizational standards,” Philbin said in a statement.