TEMPE, Ariz. — The Arizona Cardinals have taken another big injury hit, but it could have been worse.
Coach Bruce Arians said Friday that quarterback Drew Stanton will not require surgery on his injured right knee.
“We feel he definitely has a chance to be back this season,” the coach said. “We just don’t know when.”
Asked if there was any chance Stanton could play in the next game, a crucial NFC West showdown against Seattle on Dec. 21, Arians said, “I wouldn’t put it past him but I would be surprised.”
He would not specify what the injury is but multiple reports said Stanton has a sprained knee. Arians said he hasn’t decided whether Ryan Lindley or rookie Logan Thomas would start in Stanton’s place.
“I’ll just sit down and think about which one I want,” Arians said.
Lindley finished the game after Stanton was hurt in the third quarter of Thursday night’s 12-6 win at St. Louis, a victory that virtually guaranteed Arizona a spot in the playoffs.
Lindley, the fourth quarterback to play for the Cardinals this season, was the No. 3 quarterback for Arizona last season but was released in favor of Thomas at the end of this preseason. The Cardinals signed him off the San Diego practice squad after starter Carson Palmer went down with a season-ending knee injury, also against the Rams, on Nov. 9.
Stanton, who had not taken a regular-season snap in four years before this season, is 5-3 as a starter in relief of Palmer.
PETERSON’S APPEAL DENIED: In Minneapolis, an arbiter appointed by the NFL to hear Adrian Peterson’s appeal has ruled that the Minnesota Vikings running back will remain suspended until at least next spring.
The decision by Harold Henderson, a former league official, was announced on Friday. His ruling upheld the NFL’s decision last month to suspend Peterson without pay for the remainder of the season and not consider him for reinstatement until April 15.
Peterson was charged with felony child abuse in September for using a wooden switch to discipline his son, but he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault in November. He had been on paid leave while his case moved through the court system.
CB HARRIS GETS FIVE-YEAR EXTENSION: Chris Harris Jr., who signed a $2,000 bonus as an undrafted free agent out of Kansas in 2011, has agreed to a five-year contract extension with the Denver Broncos worth more than $42 million.
Harris has made a successful comeback from ACL surgery this season, tallying 43 tackles, 18 pass breakups, three interceptions and a sack for the Broncos (10-3).
In his three-plus years with the Broncos, Harris has picked off 10 passes, scored two touchdowns, forced a fumble and had three fumble recoveries.
Off the field
2012 KILLINGS NOT ALLOWED IN HERNANDEZ CASE: In Fall River, Mass., prosecutors in a murder case against Aaron Hernandez won’t be allowed to tell a jury about two other killings with which the ex-New England Patriot is charged or the final text messages the victim sent to his sister, a judge ruled Friday.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in the June 2013 killing of Odin Lloyd, a semipro football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancée. He has also pleaded not guilty to the fatal shootings of two men in 2012 after an encounter at a Boston nightclub.
OBAMA WEIGHS IN ON RICE CASE: President Barack Obama said the Ray Rice domestic violence case showed that the NFL was “behind the curve” in setting policies about athlete behavior. He said new policies now in effect will send a message that there is no place for such behavior.
Obama said in an interview Friday with ESPN Radio that “an old boys’ network” at the NFL had created “blind spots.”
“You don’t want to be winging it when something like this happens; you want to have clear policies in place,” he said.
Obama said the Rice case raised awareness about domestic violence and showed men need to change their behavior and “it has to start young.”
Obama was promoting sign-ups for his health care law, which has a Monday deadline.