Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
4. Sightly Miss: Has performed well past five and drops to lowest level.
2. Betterwithbourbon: One more chance here with a perfect setup to boot.
5. Caljada: Bet first out but run off feet by stakes winner — another chance Friday.
4. Pinks Honor: Has been off and moves up in class but catches weak field.
ON TURF SELECTIONS — 5-4
2. Glucose: Didn’t run a step after getting bumped at break — drops a bit.
8. Suaveberry: Have to respect the big win in last over this strip.
5. Alivias Lion: Trainer with great stat third off a layoff and has speed to get position.
4. Miss Betty Boo: Nice run on turf last out but probably better on the dirt.
ON TURF SELECTIONS — 6-1
2. My Prince: Has solid form at the level and trainer is sneaky good.
5. Lassell: First time offered for sale is actually a good stat for this trainer.
5. Arabian Queen: Towers over field on turf and willing to give shot on dirt.
9. Pineapple Julep: Unappetizing name but an appealing barn change to Dupuy.
ON TURF SELECTIONS — 5-9
7. Skyroad: Bet first time out but flopped. But we’ve seen form reversal from barn.
8. Leroidesdance: Certainly fits with these and expect better run for Amoss.
13. Social Prize: Ran huge lifetime best in last but needs to work out a trip.
3. You’ve Got a Friend: Gets easier company Friday but hasn’t run in 10 months.
ON TURF SELECTIONS — 7-3
10. Yabbay: A pretty nice run behind runaway winner with a spot of trouble to boot.
9. Fav by the Way: Likely pacesetter and favorite but hard to trust at short odds.
Around the Track
The intermittent rain and lack of sunshine is playing havoc on the turf course and on our selections as it is difficult to ascertain whether races are on turf or off and whether the track is holding some moisture. That being said, play the higher-priced horse listed in the two selections of Chok’s Choices for the time being and tread lightly with the turf races moved to the dirt.
Our Best Bet today will be in Race 3, No. 2 Glucose. Didn’t run very well in last but this is kind of an in and out horse, so we expect a good effort today at a nice price. Good luck, and may they all come home safely.