Michael Beychok, the 2012 National Handicapping Championship and 2012 Eclipse Award winner for best handicapper, brings 35 years of experience to The Advocate. Beychok — also the senior partner of Ourso Beychok Inc., a national political consulting firm based in Louisiana — runs his own handicapping website, BeychokRacing.com. Follow him on Twitter: @BeychokRacing.
7. WHAT’S IN A NAME: One of only a few to show some competitiveness on track.
2. PROFITRESS: New acquisition and arrival to the Glyshaw barn must improve to win.
1. LILYS JACKIE BOY: Not a lot of early speed in here so this one should have it all his own way early.
4. LEONARDTOWN: Will be sitting in nice spot to inherit lead if top choice falters.
8. GENERAL HOLLEY: Less experienced but showed some run at EVD over the summer.
7. YANKEE GRIND: Trying to figure out whether he is a sprinter or a router.
1. JO CLEVER: Good post and has a win over the track.
9. OUR LOGIES BEAR: Has the right running style for this sprint on turf.
10. BIG TOP JUAN: Is two for three on the turf and will be running late.
10. MAXINA: Should show speed from outside and try to hold on.
8. CHER BELLA: Drop down from higher class has a shot to upset at big odds.
10. DEAD ON: This horse is the fastest in the race and most likely winner.
8. BAUERS GOT HOURS: A must use in the exotics and loves this racetrack.
2. ALL OWLS: Trying to make it three in a row and is in a great spot.
7. TY’S BANDIT: Can round out a nice exacta with top choice at big odds.
11. FANTASIZE: Nice first run, and should improve second time out.
1. WIRELESS FUTURE: Bet down and well meant first out gets good inside position.
12. WILDERSIDE: Another who gets second start — must work out a trip from outside.
1. NATES MINESHAFT: Came back running off short layoff — is 5-5 at FG.
8. DELAUNY: Old boy has but one defeat at the FG.
9. MR ROCKIN WEST: Asmussen will get the finale win here on Turkey Day.
4. HOURLY APPOINTMENT: Hawley has won with this type before and has good works.
Around the Track
Turkey Day at the Track and we have the traditional sprinter’s stakes race — the Thanksgiving Day Handicap — on tap. My best memories are of eating dinner in Baton Rouge with the family, piling in the station wagon with my dad and brother and friends and driving to New Orleans to see Pop’s Golden Rule or Le Gris compete. This year’s edition features another rematch between Gantry and Delauny, who between them have won the last three runnings of the Thanksgiving Handicap.
Best Bet Longshot
The Best Bet came out smoking, winning the first two and then giving us a real thrill as our 25-1 shot on Sunday led deep into the stretch before fading to fourth. We will try to keep the hot streak going with No. 10 in Race 6 — Dead On. Use in the exacta with horse for course Bauers Got Hours. Below is our running tally for the year for all top picks. Our second choices are again performing extremely well, so pay attention to those longer priced “seconds.”
FAIR GROUNDS STATS: 29-7-9-2 50.40 (-7.60)