RENTON, Wash. — “Beast Mode” is getting paid.
Marshawn Lynch is receiving a hefty raise for at least one more season in the Seattle Seahawks backfield.
Lynch signed a two-year extension with the Seahawks on Friday that keeps him under contract with Seattle through the 2017 season but more importantly includes a massive raise for the 2015 season. Lynch’s restructured deal will pay him $12 million for 2015, said his agent, Doug Hendrickson.
Lynch agreed to his new deal Friday. Hendrickson said the deal includes an additional $24 million for the 2016 and ’17 seasons should Lynch continue his career into his 30s.
He is coming off arguably the best season of his career. He scored a career-high 17 total touchdowns, including 13 rushing. He rushed for 1,306 yards in the regular season and added another 318 in three postseason games. Lynch had 102 yards and a touchdown in the Super Bowl.
Also, the Seahawks could be in the market for a tight end when free agency begins after veteran Zach Miller was released Friday after he failed a physical.
Off the field
REPORTS SAY LANDRY SUSPENDED 10 GAMES: ESPN and other outlets reported that former LSU safety LaRon Landry, formerly of the Indianapolis Colts, was suspended for the first 10 games of the 2015 season for violating the league’s performance-enhancing drug policy.
Landry, 30, was released by the Colts last month two years into a four-year, $24 million deal that he signed with the team before the 2013 season. Landry was suspended four games last season for violating the NFL’s performance-enhancing drug policy.
Reggie Wayne exits: Indianapolis gave Reggie Wayne the answer he didn’t want to hear: They don’t want him back.
Calling it a sad day, team owner Jim Irsay announced that the Colts would part ways with one of the greatest receivers in franchise history. Wayne, a former Ehret standout, will become an unrestricted free agent next week.
The decision should not have come as a major surprise to Colts fans. Despite having one of the most storied careers in franchise history, the 36-year-old Wayne was slowing down.
He missed the last nine games in 2013 with a torn ACL and was hobbled during the second half of last season with a torn left triceps.
JONES JOINS SAN DIEGO: The San Diego Chargers signed New Orleans native Jacoby Jones, the wide receiver and kick returner who was a major contributor to the Ravens’ last Super Bowl championship but was cut by Baltimore last week.
Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco said in announcing Jones’ two-year deal that one of San Diego’s goals was to upgrade its return game.
Around the nation
DeMaurice Smith will have eight challengers for his executive director’s position with the players’ union in the March 15 election. Smith will be opposed by several former NFL players: Sean Gilbert, Jason Belser, Robert Griffith and John Stufflebeem, who appeared in preseason games and is a former U.S. Navy admiral. Also on the ballot are attorneys Arthur McAfee, Andrew Smith and Jim Acho, and player representative Rob London. ... The Falcons re-signed receiver and special teams leader Eric Weems. ... The Panthers signed tackle Michael Oher to a two-year contract.